Location: Mannar, Northern Sri Lanka
Duration: 8-12 weeks
Street Child is a charity dedicated to empowering some of the most vulnerable children in the world by giving them the chance to go to school and giving their families the sustainable means to keep them there.
We have identified that out of school children is one of Sri Lanka’s main development issues, particularly those in marginalised communities, despite having an overall literacy rate of over 90%. This placement is a unique opportunity to make a critical contribution to an organisation that is looking to pilot and expand its efforts within various communities in rural and urban Sri Lanka.
Join us to help children in remote areas of the Northern Sri Lankan province escape the low education-low income trap. Our fantastic local partner is working on the ground to deliver modern-methodological teaching that improves educational outcome. We need volunteers to assist with their English Language Development programme and to help create greater educational awareness among students, parents and teachers in the local communities.
Working alongside the local team, your key responsibilities will include but are not limited to –
● Teaching basic English to children at the HUB which is run by our local partner
● Support with sourcing appropriate teaching resources to support HUB activities
● Assist with developing case studies and outcome reports and other promotional documents
● Take part with the activities at the HUB centres including scheduling, developing the time table and maintaining accurate records.
● Support with conducting regular monitoring visits, develop/use appropriate monitoring tools to monitor outcome and output of the project.
● Willingness to undertake any other responsibilities entrusted by the deputy team leader or Team Leader, as and when requested.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Confident and diligent
● Independent and capable of proactive work plan management with minimal support
● Flexible, adaptable and able to thrive in a start-up environment
● Thoughtful, resourceful, reflective, and eager to learn
● Culturally responsive and respectful
● Keen interest in understanding and contributing to the development sector
The successful applicant must be prepared to live and work in very basic conditions, and to travel independently to urban, rural and remote project sites. The applicant must be able to manage his or her work plan and report regularly to the team on progress, and will be considered a valued member of the team.
Every volunteer has to cover their own costs for flights, vaccinations and visa. Once in country there is a fixed daily cost covering accommodation and any work related travel, ranging between 6€ and 12€, depending on the respective project. A more detailed breakdown of costs and expenses will be provided for those applicants selected for an interview.
We ask all our volunteers to fundraise 1200€.
Our projects are only possible because of all the money we fundraise and this method has proven itself to be an effective tool to achieve a lasting impact of each volunteer’s time in their respective project.
To read more about why we ask for a fundraising commitment click here.
Every successful applicant will work together with one of our experienced fundraising mentors, who will provide all the information and material necessary to reach our fundraising goal as well as accompany and help the volunteer throughout every step in the fundraising process!
Please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your experience, interest in the placement and availability.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1