Closing date: 08 Dec 2019
Role & Responsibilities
The Enterprise Architect will be responsible for optimising business operations and setting the direction and approach for integration of new information applications and programs. The Enterprise Architect is also responsible for cataloguing, developing, coordinating, communicating, maintaining, and enforcing overall enterprise architecture models, representations, initiatives, capabilities, and components to adequately support Medair’s technology activities. The role will manage the Support Systems Integration Team and will form a key part of the ITS leadership team, collaborating to set strategy for the technology roadmap.
Medair’s Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff.
Global ITS provides Medair with centralised governance, strategy, direction, innovation and support in the use of the information technologies that amplify the people to people strategy. Global ITS provides a centralised approach to ensure cost efficiency and integration, including country programs in the strategic design of systems, and delivers services locally where practical to ensure that the day-to-day needs of our GSO and country program colleagues are met. The Support Systems Integration team delivers on the strategic direction for our Support Function Systems primarily located at the GSO – including Human Resources, Finance, Logistics, Engagement and Communications teams.
Workplace & Conditions
Medair Global Support Office (GSO), Lausanne, Switzerland.
Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply. For more senior/ technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply. There will be a degree of travel to countries where the standard of living may be different from what is expected in Switzerland.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
- Evaluate internal functions and IT processes and suggest improvements.
- Create enterprise architecture models to reflect Medair’s strategies and goals.
- Create methods for compliance architecture, data storage, metadata management, and change control.
- Determine and implement build versus buy strategies.
- Create and monitor the implementation of end-to-end integrated systems.
- Collaborates with all relevant parties in order to review the objectives and constraints of each solution and determine conformance with the EA. Recommends the most suitable technical architecture and defines the solution at a high level.
- Negotiate and administer vendor and consultant contracts.
- Provide strategic direction into Medair’s Application Roadmap.
- Assign Project Managers for new systems projects as required, ensuring that proper scope, cost, resource requirements and time estimates are defined.
- Establish professional standards in the development of applications and in the management of projects using Agile and Lead methodologies.
- Manage the Support Systems Integration team by providing guidance and timely feedback, and lead by example to demonstrate professionalism and accountability.
- Develop training and knowledge transfer plans so that members of the team can continue to grow in their roles and ensure proper coverage in case of staff absence or departure.
- Ensure procedures in place to support users with legacy systems, and new cloud-based system solutions.
- Develop a roadmap to upgrade and standardize the infrastructure across GSO and all country programs, outsourcing activities in order to focus on activities that are cost-effective for Medair to maintain.
- Develop the overall Enterprise Architecture, ensuring consistency of the data model across all the solutions.
- The holder of this position is required to keep up-to-date on new IT methodologies, systems, applications, infrastructure and security and to encourage out-of-the-box thinking on how to best meet Medair’s needs with limited funding and resources.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in Informatics, Computer Science, Information Systems or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Microsoft Certification preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). Ability to work in French desirable.
Experience / Competencies
- 5+ years leading an IT Application Support team.
- 5+ years IT Project Management experience is essential. Vendor Management.
- Solution Architecture experience designing and implementing complex enterprise applications
- Experience in analysis and design. Modeling and graphical representations and abstractions. Actual experience developing and building models based on The Enterprise Framework.
- Experience in database administration and performance tuning.
- Experience operating in hybrid environments including in-house and outsourced operations and use of cloud-based services.
- Solid understanding of software design principles, data model creation and experience with virtualization, operating systems, local and wide area networking, response and recovery, data protection and retention, and other information management disciplines to support a global organization.
- Strong planning and analytical skills. Experience in database management and mobile technologies.
How to apply:
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Profiles sought and Benefits Package for Global Support Office Staff.
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
- Multiple Select field
- Text Area field 8am - 5pm