Project: Project for Improvement of Access in the South-East Area of Kabul City
Duty Station: Kabul, Afghanistan
Section/Unit: AFOC, Afghanistan
Contract/Level: Individual Contractor Agreement – Local Specialist, Level 8
Duration: On going
Supervisor: Project Manager
1. General Background
The Project for Improvement of Access in the South-East Area of Kabul City-JICA VI – funded by the Government of Japan (GoJ) through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)- is to include (i) the construction and widening of Maslakh Road from Puli Mahmood Khan to Abdul Haq Roundabout, (ii) the construction of Abdul Haq roundabout and, (iii) the construction of a new Makroyan Bridge over the Kabul River. The Program is aimed at removing the bottleneck for traffic from the city center to Jalalabad Road and linking southwest Kabul and east Kabul. The Project will result in facilitating smooth traffic between the southwest and east of Kabul, easing traffic congestion in the city, thereby enhancing economic activities and contributing to the economic development of Kabul through improved physical access to services.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager and reporting directly to the Deputy Project Manager, the Surveyor for the project is expected to support the implementation of the project activities through the provision of technical expertise and the application of best practices in the project implementation. The Surveyor, who is expected to be working in the Project Site Office, will assist the QA/QC Engineer and Monitoring Engineers to oversee implementation of contract works in confirming to the technical specifications and approved design drawings.
Specifically, the Surveyor will be responsible for multiple construction sites and shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
· Supporting the Project Manager to ensure the overall and timely delivery of UNOPS-JICA VI Project in Kabul Province;
· Understanding the technical specification and scope of work of contractor that has been assigned to him by the Project Manager (or Deputy Project on behalf of Project Manager)
· Planning and conducting engineering surveys for the project roads, structures and civil works, including topographic surveys and recording all site related details;
· Preparing a contour map of project sites;
· Conducting preliminary survey for selected roads as per programme plan, this includes visual survey, photos, map checking and site visits;
· Assist the Project team in revising the design documents as per the proposed changes
· Checking the design, pre-post section and calculating for quantities of works.
· Formulate a topographic survey for project sites using TOTAL STATIONS equipment, and monitoring related aspects after construction.
· Co-ordinate with Bridge Engineer, Sr. Road Engineer, and other units as applicable, to ensure dissemination of surveying data.
· Checking the layout of the road alignments and structures, e.g. centre line, culverts, bridges, etc.
· Organize, conduct and supervise implementation of detailed topographic surveys of project roads at the pre-design, design and construction stages
· Conduct pre- and post-construction surveys and ensure the construction is in accordance with the approved design drawings and BoQ Perform other functions as may be assigned by the supervisor;
· Work closely with the project designers to ensure proper collection, dissemination and use of survey data
· Ensure surveying equipment is well maintained and in good working condition.
· Report regularly to the Project Manager and keep the record of all survey related documents
· Mentoring and building the capacity of counterpart surveyors
· Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
3. Qualifications and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering/Geodesy or a relevant field from a recognized university;
B. Work Experience
· Minimum 4 years of work experience as surveyor in road construction projects required
· Proven experience of project implementation in close collaboration with the Government authorities and community organizations;
· Previous work experience with the United Nations or any of its agencies, partners and affiliate is desirable but not a requirement;
· Working knowledge of MS Office programs, MS Project, AutoCAD Civil 3D and other Road Design software;
· Knowledge of UN/UNOPS rules and regulations is an advantage;
· Fluency in both written and oral English is required;
· Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English and Dari is required;
D. Key Competencies
· Proven ability to produce technical guidelines, conflict resolution, reporting;
· Good Organizational skills and knowledge of methods to measure contractor’s capacity;
· Fully proficient in computer software, Ms Excel, Ms Word, Ms Project and good knowledge of Auto Cad;
· Negotiation skills to shape and influence agreements with vendors;
· Good communication (spoken and written) skills
· Discretion and sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve day-to-day construction issues, and understanding of change control;
· Ability to work towards tight deadlines;
· Willingness to travel to / stay at the project sites for all the week;
· Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity; Flexibility in working hours and agreement to undertake night shift duties if required
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1