Organization: Save the Children
Country: South Sudan
Closing date: 02 Oct 2019
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We are changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Country Director with indirect reporting lines to the Regional HR Director
South Sudan is one of the most challenging and exciting working environments that Save the Children currently works in. The newest country in the world, its legacy of thirty years of war has yet to be even partly addressed as its new government struggles to both mature and reach out to its people.
More than 6.1 million people – one-half of the population – are in need of humanitarian assistance in South Sudan as a result of continued violence, the impact of a poor harvest and economic downturn. Humanitarian needs exist in all parts of the country, with a recent deterioration of the food security situation and the outbreak of diseases such as cholera and measles. Despite constraints and dangers, humanitarian workers have managed to provide assistance and alleviate the suffering of over 2.8 million South Sudanese to date in 2016. Save the Children has been active in South Sudan for over 20 years.
Contract Duration: 1 year
Location: Juba, South Sudan
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
* A minimum of 10 years of management experience in a corporate or an NGO environment, including experience in the development and implementation of strategic and operational HR plans through a number of planning cycles
* Post-Graduate qualifications in Personnel Management or Business Administration (MBA) with specialisation in Human Resources
* Ability to plan and organize a substantial workload that includes complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities in both development and emergency contexts
* Highly developed communication skills both written and verbal in order to establish effective relationships with a wide variety of internal and external audiences, including at a geographical distance.
* Resourcefulness and creativity in order to develop the role of HR / Admin within the Country Office and ensure the most effective support to line management.
* Experience in capacity building and setting frameworks for staff development.
* Experience in advising managers on a wide range of HR issues and topics
* Demonstrated credibility with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels of an organization
* Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
* Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead during through periods of change
* Leadership skills, including the ability to supervise, delegate, coach and mentor both individuals and teams.
* Analytical, with demonstrated ability to make difficult decisions
* Ability to coach, mentor, delegate appropriately and provide developmental guidance to supervised staff
* Team building skills
* Willingness and ability to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
* High level of commitment to the principles of development and to the organizational and programmatic goals of Save the Children
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
How to apply:
- Text Area field 8am - 5pm