NGO JOB in Greece from Danish Refugee Council
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work for its Operations in Skaramangas site in Attica. Under supervision of the SMS Team Leader and close support and technical supervision from the Shelter/WASH Advisor, the Site Operations Coordinator will be responsible for effectively coordinating, implementing, and ensuring the quality of DRC’s infrastructure and care & maintenance program in Refugee and Migrant Hosting Sites in the region of Attika where DRC is the Site Management Support actor. S/he will be assigned as necessary to oversee all technical assessments, reports and monitoring of various projects undertaken by DRC. S/he will work closely with the SMS Team Leader of the site to ensure that all construction projects, maintenance and repairs works are technically sound and proportionate to the need for humanitarian assistance.
3. Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following:
· Participate in the design of a) shelter solutions (such as partitions, ISO-boxes etc.), b) community infrastructure (such as garbage collection stations, communal spaces, rehabilitation of buildings etc.), and c) WASH infrastructure (such as water collection and washing stations, rehabilitation or construction of toilets and shower units, construction of septic tanks, repairs etc.). This includes preparation of design drawings, BoQ (bill of quantity), order requests with estimated costs etc.;
· As necessary, oversee activity of contractors for any construction works related to shelter, community and WASH infrastructure;
· Assess and continuously monitor the shelter and WASH conditions of the population hosted in the site;
· Develop a regular Care & Maintenance schedule and prepare technical descriptions and proposed solutions in case of any malfunction or deficiencies noted in the site’s networks (electrical, water supply, sewerage, surface run offs etc.) or in structural infrastructures (buildings, prefabricated houses) in compliance with National and Humanitarian Standardization and Construction Norms;
· Provide technical guidance to Site Operations team;
· Draft TORs, Technical Annexes, BOQs and Contract Requirements for Construction and Care & Maintenance Contractors to be hired by DRC for the site of his responsibility according to Greek and International Standards, Regulations and Codes;
· Coordinate with all external technical actors contracted by DRC to monitor works and receive and review all reports;
· As necessary, oversee activity of contractors (lead quantity surveys, follow time schedules, budgets etc.) for any infrastructure construction work or care, maintenance and improvements work in the site of his responsibility;
· Monitors qualifications and quality standards for contractors;
· Develop efficient, safe and technically sound electrical, mechanical programming based on assessments, consultant reports and Greek Standards and Codes;
· Any other tasks assigned by the SMS Team Leader or the Shelter/WASH Advisor to support DRC’s activities;
· Suggest measures to improve security of PoC and to prevent PoC’s exposure to electrical or mechanical related hazards; and coordinating with SMS, Shelter/WASH Advisory Team to resolve issues regarding new infrastructure works or care, maintenance, supply and installations of the existing facilities in site.
4. Required Qualifications
· University (AEI) or Technological Education (TEI) degree preferably in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or alternatively in Architectural or Civil Engineering.
· Certificate of Membership in the Technical Chamber of Greece.
· Minimum 5 years of proven experience as an Engineer on medium to large scale infrastructure projects.
· Proven experience in working and drafting Work Contracts terms and technical annexes.
· Strong verbal and written English skills. Must be able to read and write technical documents in both Greek and English.
· Strong computer skills. AutoCAD and MS Office experience is required
· Previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as an advantage
· High professional ethics
5. Required Skills & Qualities
· Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
· Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with diverse groups, partners and nationalities
· Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principle
· Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
· Ability to multitask and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
6. Terms & Conditions
· The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position)
· All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus)
· DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
· The position will be based in Attika (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply
7. Application Process
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.
Applications close on the 18th of January 2019. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- Salary Offer $10.000 ~ $20.000
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Dropdown field Option 1