Position: Senior Payroll Specialist
Location: Los Angeles
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 18 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
Manage and supervise day to day payroll functions for the Relief International headquarters offices. Supervises a direct report (if any), payroll and finance associate daily assignment, as well as outside payroll vendors. Coordinate various activities of processing and preparing Bi-weekly payroll. Assist global finance team in providing transparent, timely and effective payroll information.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RES PONSIBILIT IES:
The Senior Payroll Specialist will work under the direct supervision and guidance of the Accounting Manager and in close collaboration with the headquarters finance and human resources team.
- Ensure that payrolls are processed timely and consistently based on payroll procedures.
- Review and reconcile the semi-monthly payroll for Domestic staff and the monthly payroll for International staff.
- Coordinate with HR on Payroll changes for domestic and international employees’ labor charges and allowances (i.e. Danger Pay, Post Differential, Relocations, R&R, etc.)
- Review semi-monthly system generated labor report and payroll journals for project and general ledger account coding and accuracy prior to uploading in Finance System.
- Review and reconcile payroll changes to payroll certificate before submission in the system for pay processing.
- Review and reconcile international payroll wires setup in bank to payroll certificate
- Review monthly System Payroll Processing Fees Invoices and Direct Deposits and process accordingly
- Review other payroll-related payment requests (i.e. Transamerica, Unemployment) for timely processing of payments due
- Review and verify calculation of final payment to payroll records and other supporting documentations
- Review and reconcile balance schedules for Payroll related liability accounts and staff advances payments through payroll.
- Review and reconcile the quarterly/annual 941 Payroll reconciliation and filing.
- Manages the Yearend review of W2s vs Annual Wage and Tax Registers; and process the necessary amendments.
- Reviews and process the filing of 403b Compliance Census Testing for Transamerica.
- Prepares, reconciles and process the Annual Filing of 403b Form 5500.
- Supports audit inquires by having payroll documentation file appropriately and audit ready; and provide timely response to payroll audit samples
- Setup Labor Fields in the payroll system for new projects. Manage the necessary changes, additions and deletions of information on existing projects.
- Supervise and review employee setup in Finance Systems and Banking as necessary.
- Manage the continuous improvement for all payroll processes
- Run Bi-weekly Labor Report for filing
Customer Service Management
- Establish strong customer relationships and good communication skills with employees, Managers and Senior Management in GSO, Field and Region staff.
- Assist employees, project managers and HR with questions and issues regarding pay discrepancies, labor charges, process and procedures for other payroll related benefit questions.
- Response and resolves all escalated payroll inquiries, issues and problems.
Qualifications & requirements:
- BA degree in Accounting or equivalent preferred.
- Five to ten years working experience primary with mid to large company payroll.
- Strong English skills (speaking, reading, writing) are required.
- Familiar with financial ERP systems.
- Demonstrated analytical, planning and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team (mostly remotely).
- Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties.
- Cultural awareness and ability to work well in across global time zones with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Relief International’s Values:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
Interested applicants are requested to fill in their appplications on the link below:
- Salary Offer $3000 ~ $10.000
- Experience Level Manager
- Total Years Experience 5-10