Girls Not Brides: The Global Partnership to End Child Marriage is recruiting a Senior Officer for Africa Engagement to join our Africa team. Girls Not Brides is a global partnership of more than 1000 civil society organisations from over 95 countries committed to ending child marriage and enabling girls to fulfil their potential. Members are supported by a global secretariat with staff based in the UK and individual team members based in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
The Senior Officer for Africa Engagement, a bilingual (French and English) international development professional will play a critical role in ensuring that relevant sub-regional African institutions in West and Central Africa encourage governments to implement the commitments made through sub-regional frameworks and processes – a strategic priority for Girls Not Brides . The candidate will also play a key role in supporting Girls Not Brides’members’ participation in relevant sub-regional, regional and global processes and initiatives. S/he will also contribute to the secretariat’s efforts to monitor selected focus countries on the continent, and engage in secretariat-wide projects and work streams (e.g. advocacy, member engagement, learning, communications, etc.), as required.
Reporting directly to the Head of Africa Engagement, the successful candidate will work remotely from an African country, preferably from a regional hub in West and Central Africa such as Dakar (Senegal).
Main duties and responsibilities
1. Lead Girls Not Brides’ engagement with selected regional and inter-governmental institutions working to address child marriage in West and Central Africa
- Develop and implement advocacy strategies and initiatives to maintain child marriage on the agenda of selected regional institutions, initiatives and processes at the West and Central African sub-regional level e.g. ECOWAS;
- Influence and support sub-regional institutions to encourage member states to translate the commitments made at the regional level (African Union) into tangible action at the national level;
- Represent Girls Not Brides in selected regional working groups and networks in West and Central Africa, and at regional meetings and events as required;
- When necessary, supervise consultants supporting the secretariat’s regional work.
2. Support Girls Not Brides members in West and Central Africa to leverage and participate in regional initiatives, processes and opportunities
- Influence and support regional and sub-regional institutions to ensure strategic and meaningful participation of African civil society organisations in relevant regional initiatives and processes;
- When needed, promote and/or facilitate collaboration between Girls Not Brides members, and at times with partner organisations, working on child marriage in West and Central Africa;
- Working closely with the Partnership Team, provide information to Girls Not Brides members and national partnerships about regional and global processes and opportunities that can be leveraged for national-level advocacy;
- Working closely with the Partnership Team, facilitate and support collective advocacy by Girls Not Bridesmembers and national partnerships to influence relevant regional processes and initiatives and/or hold their governments accountable to commitments made at the regional level;
- Working closely with and Policy & Advocacy Team, work to align regional and global advocacy strategies.
3. Monitor and analyse national policy developments and opportunities in selected countries in Africa
- Monitor, analyse and document policy developments, and advocacy opportunities relating to child marriage in selected focus countries across Africa, including through regular liaison with Girls Not Brides members and partners in country;
- Lead development of assigned country engagement plans with colleagues, contributing specifically on policy and political developments
- Write policy briefs, analyses, web content and other products;
- Occasionally, provide strategic and technical advice to members and other actors in focus countries on advocacy opportunities or other matters.
4. Contribute to consolidating Girls Not Brides’ presence, visibility and credibility in West and Central Africa
- Help strengthen the Girls Not Brides secretariat’s strategic partnerships with key regional institutions, networks and partner organisations working on child marriage and/or related issues;
- Represent Girls Not Brides at external meetings and events, as required;
- Speak on behalf of Girls Not Brides in the media, as required.
5. Contribute to the broader work of Girls Not Brides with knowledge of the sub- regional context and the perspective of members from the region, as needed
- Contribute to larger Girls Not Brides projects and activities (e.g. member meetings, advocacy campaigns, etc.), as required;
- Building on his/her understanding of dynamics at the sub- regional level, provide input in work led by other teams in the secretariat with a focus on advocacy, member engagement, learning and communications, as needed and appropriate;
- Take part in relevant strategic and/or planning discussions within the Girls Not Brides secretariat.
We are looking for bilingual (French and English) candidates with the following qualifications and skills:
- Graduate qualification in a relevant area (such as public policy, development studies, African studies, international relations, human rights or gender issues) or proven experience in a related field;
- Sound understanding of the policy and advocacy dynamics around gender and/or development issues in (West and Central) Africa; an understanding of child marriage and of the key players in the women’s and children’s rights fields in Africa is desirable;
- Strong knowledge of African institutions, human rights frameworks, and processes relating to human rights, women’s rights and/or children’s rights; knowledge of ECOWAS is desirable
- Demonstrated and significant experience in policy analysis and advocacy at the national and regional level in Africa; experience working with coalitions highly desirable;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement advocacy strategies for networks or coalitions;
- Excellent project planning and project management skills; demonstrated ability to plan and execute projects on time and on budget, to meet tight deadlines and juggle multiple priorities, and to resolve problems and adapt plans if required;
- Ability to work pro-actively with minimal supervision, but also to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment and in a remote-working team;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to empower others and bring them together;
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality;
- Willingness to travel internationally frequently (up to 25% time) and sometimes at short notice;
- Proficiency in recent versions of Microsoft Office suite; knowledge of Salesforce and Basecamp a plus;
- Excellent written and spoken English and French is essential.
To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating how you meet the criteria for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org by 23:00 GMT on 4th November 2018 clearly stating “Senior Officer for Africa Engagement” and your name in the subject line. We regret that due to the large number of applications anticipated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
At Girls Not Brides we are committed to the well-being, empowerment and rights of children and to safeguarding children from harm in all of our activities. Girls Not Brides aims to promote an environment of trust and understanding where the welfare of children is paramount. You will be expected to adhere to the Girls Not Brides Child Safeguarding Policy and its Code of Conduct and report any concerns relating to the safeguarding of children in accordance with agreed procedures.
Eligibility criteria and terms
All applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in their chosen overseas location. Salary range £35,000-£42,000, depending upon location and relevant experience, plus a generous benefits package will be offered to the successful candidate.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Dropdown field Option 1