Job Title: Senior Manager, Creative
Department: External Relations and Communications (ERC)
Based: Washington, DC
Reports to: Director, External Relations and Communications
Travel: Up to 25%
Who we are
With nearly 50 years of experience, working in over 55 countries Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer powered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSIers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI’s External Relations & Communications (ERC) department positions PSI as a development NGO of the future through innovative and substantive outputs including digital and print publications and multimedia assets. We nurture strategic relationships with donors and partners, support global services and in-country teams with external relations and provide strategic advocacy support. We work hard and laugh a lot together.
We are looking for a Senior Manager, Creative Services, that will work with our internal teams to design meaningful content. The creative work they produce will be a mix of print or digital editorial, video, social and branded content. Every product created will have at its core purpose to communicate a message and advance a strategic business objective.
The Senior Manager, Creative Services, takes responsibility for the aesthetics across mediums, ensuring strategic objectives are reached through clear, concise communication and visually stimulating work. S/he will lead projects from start to finish and coach a team to success, including an Associate Manager, Graphic Design, and freelance designers, photographers, film makers and other creatives as needed.
Sound like you? Read on.
The Senior Manager, Creative Services, is a leadership position within PSI with opportunities for increasing vision, ownership and growth of our creative work across the PSI network of global services and in-country stakeholders. This will include the following:
- Present creative concepts and ideas to clients; turn ideas into impactful work for teams and clients.
- Partner with senior leaders on developing brand story, strategy and the appropriate creative/design tactics to support the story and strategy.
- Work closely with ERC’s Senior Manager, Advocacy, and Senior Manager, Strategic Communications, for strategy and goals on projects, as well as stakeholders/clients outside the department.
- Work closely with internal/external clients as a team player to ensure that the creative needs of the PSI brand(s) are met.
- Lead creative work from concept to completion.
- Design, photograph, edit, produce (i.e., make the work).
- Manage a multidisciplinary team of internal and external talent.
- Build a network of freelance designers/production shops to fulfill specialty roles on projects.
- Tightly manage quality assurance from staff and external vendors.
- Lead visual research and design within PSI.
- Be a brand steward: manage design, typography and overall visual identity in the online and offline spaces.
- Stay Creatively Fresh: actively seek and share digital inspiration (creative, technology, general digital trends) with their teams, art department, and agency.
- Manage and/or mentor Associate Manager, Graphic Design, as well as other staff (on a project basis) with responsibility for developing creative outputs.
- Responsible for managing workload, timeline and billing.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
- 7-10 years of graphic design and art direction experience in the creative field working across digital and traditional media.
- A strong portfolio of work demonstrating versatile design talent spanning audience, industry and mediums.
- Superior skills in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Critical and creative thinker with the ability to lead a concept or play a collaborative role beginning, middle and end.
- Successful track record of building and leading creative teams to goals.
- Ability to present/communicate in an organized, professional, and effective manner.
- Advanced organizational, project management and production skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Passion for storytelling, point of view and immersion in the work.
- Instincts, vision, adaptability and grit.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- A sense of humor helps too.
What would get us excited?
- Strong interest in public health, women and girls and poverty alleviation.
- Understanding of international development desired, but not mandatory.
- Experience working with large, multinational and intercultural teams.
- A do-er who can get their bearings quickly.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Dropdown field Option 1