Whilst UNHCR’s use of Cash-Based Interventions (CBI) has gradually expanded in both scope and scale, systematising their use across all operations requires sustained multi-year planning and resources, management’s ownership of the process and a fundamental transformation in the way UNHCR plans and delivers assistance and services. Building on its experience to date, UNHCR adopted its CBI institutionalisation strategy 2016-2020, which sets out to achieve the institutionalisation of CBI over a five-year period.
Since 25 August 2017, over 500,000 Rohingya have fled into Bangladesh from Rakhine state in Myanmar. For years, UNHCR has had presence in the 2 main camps neighbouring Cox’s Bazar Nayapara and Kutapalong housing some 33,500 individuals. With recent influx, the existing camps have expended with numerous spontaneous settlements appearing in the surrounding areas.
UNHCR would like to explore the option of provision of cash to individuals residing in the camps and spontaneous settlements as well as host communities. While financial services are currently not available in the markets accessed by refugees, we are exploring which options for delivery of cash could be possible. In the short-term, UNHCR is seeking to implement Cash in support to its Shelter, WASH and Nutrition programs. The cash programs currently under consideration are linked to the initial phase of emergency. The Senior CBI Officer is also expected to explore / lay the foundations for other areas where cash may be appropriate, including multi-purpose cash. The incumbent will also support the set-up of cash based support for host communities, in support to UNHCR programmes for peaceful coexistence and other similar interventions outside camps locations.
The Senior CBI Officer will set up UNHCR CBI programmes in Cox’s Bazaar. S/he will work together with the country team and sectoral experts to design, set up and implement of CBI across sectors. The Snr CBI Officer will also actively participate and represent UNHCR in cash coordination, and will build capacity within the Country Team and help the Office with the establishment of CBI capabilities and infrastructure
S/he will set up the Cash Task Team/Multi-Functional Team (led by the management and composed of programme, protection, finance, supply, data management officers) and work closely with the management to ensure their engagement of in the entire process. If so requested by senior management, s/he will link with the relevant line authorities, inclusive but not limited to the Refugee Relief and Repatriations Commissioner (RRRC) / other as applicable. S/he will report to the Head of Office in Cox’s Bazar, while working closely with the Programme Unit. The Senior CBI Officer will be based in Cox’s Bazaar and undertake missions as required.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) in Economics, Social Sciences, Political Science or other relevant field plus minimum 8 years of previous work experience relevant to the function including field experience, and a minimum of 4 years of international experience in CBIs with a UN Agency and/or an INGO. Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) plus 9 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 7 years of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- Knowledge of cash-based interventions in displacement settings and humanitarian situations.
- Demonstrated experience in technical development, field support, and training/capacity building related to CBIs.
- Knowledge of UNHCR programmes.
- Previous experience in international networking, preferably related to CBIs (incl. external partnerships, high level meetings and networks).
- Excellent knowledge of English.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Work experience in sectoral cash-based interventions (shelter, health, nutrition, food security, WASH, livelihoods, education etc.).
- Previous work experience with UNHCR.
- Prior work experience in the region and expertise in CBI and social safety nets are a plus.
- Inter-agency coordination experiences.
Interested candidates should submit their online application on the UNHCR career page by clicking on the ‘international vacancies’ tab here: https://www.unhcr.org/careers.html.
Deadline for applications: Sunday, 16 December 2018 (midnight Geneva time).
To view all UNHCR vacancies, go to http://www.unhcr.org/careers.html.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Salary Offer $3000 ~ $10.000
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Dropdown field Option 1