RESEARCH & PROJECTS VOLUNTEER – SRI LANKA
Dates: June onwards (Flexible)
Duration: 8-12 weeks
Street Child is looking for individuals with some experience in project management or research who hope to continue their professional development in the the development sector by undertaking an international volunteering role in Sri Lanka.
Street Child is a charity dedicated to empowering some of the most vulnerable children in the world by giving them the chance to go to school and giving their families the sustainable means to keep them there.
We have identified education quality, child protection and resilience as some of Sri Lanka’s main development issues. Street Child is currently seeking to pilot and expand a series of projects in Sri Lanka which work with the most marginalised so that every child’s rights are realised and the barriers to education, protection and development are removed. This placement is a unique opportunity to make a critical contribution to an organisation that is setting up and scaling its efforts within various communities in Sri Lanka.
THE ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Street Child offers placements for 8 to 12 weeks, supporting work in our country office in Batticaloa as well as in the field where we collaborate with local partner organisations.
Working alongside the local team, your key responsibilities will include but are not limited to –
● Coordinate primary and secondary research using bespoke methodologies for research with children, their communities and other relevant stakeholders
● Conducting literature reviews on assigned issues and proposing frameworks for how these issues can be understood.
● Collect, analyse and interpret data (qualitative and quantitative) to produce insights into relevant development issues
● Creating research papers based on data collected from the field, which may be published and will form the basis of future initiatives with Street Child and our partners.
● Where necessary, oversee the implementation of projects; including travel to field sites.
● Monitoring and evaluation the progress of projects to ensure they are or target to reach the outlined timeframes and intended impact
● Liaising and working in collaboration with local partners and stakeholders
● Identifying potential local and international funders and writing funding proposals to these organisations as required.
● Culturally responsive and respectful
● A social sciences degree with a strong academic record
● Some experience working in project management, research and/or in the development sector
● Ability to adapt and align with organisational objectives and ways of working
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Extremely Independent and capable of proactive work plan management
● Flexible, adaptable and able to thrive in a start-up environment
● Thoughtful, resourceful, reflective, and eager to learn
● Professional and diligent in presentation and conduct
● Keen interest in understanding and contributing to the development sector
Successful applicants must be prepared to live and work in austere conditions and to travel independently to urban, rural and remote project sites. The applicant must be able to manage his or her work plan and report regularly to the team on progress, and will be considered a valued member of the team.
A fundraising commitment will be required of the successful applicant, for which support will be provided by Street Child UK staff. Flights and food are at the applicant’s own expense. Accommodation will be provided by Street Child at a fixed cost, and will require sharing rooms with another volunteer of any gender. A detailed breakdown of costs and expenses will be provided for those applicants selected for interview.
Whilst this is initially a voluntary role, for applicants with relevant experience who have the ability to add strategic value, there is potential to attain a more permanent position with the organisation.
Please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.** outlining your experience, interest in the placement and availability.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1