Role & Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security. Will provide leadership of humanitarian negotiations, expansion of access and programmes and will support the team with understanding issues related to counter terrorism policy.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Ninewa, Kirkuk and Salah-al-Din governorates. Projects include Health, Shelter and NFI Assistance, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance and WASH. The Iraq programme operates within the Medair Middle East programme, collaboration, coordination and shared learning of projects is expected within the region.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Sinjar, Iraq. Take a look at Medair’s work in Iraq.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
· Oversee the overall implementation of the projects ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
· Manage a comprehensive activity plan, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame.
· Ensure regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives.
· Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects both in current sites and in surrounding regions. This may include baseline needs assessments.
· Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
· Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors, line managers, etc.
· Develop robust actor mapping for the Sinjar area.
· Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
· Lead the project teams in humanitarian negotiations amongst multiple armed group leading to an expansion of access and programmes.
· Seek out and participate in relevant local networks or task groups on specific humanitarian aid issues.
· Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted.
· Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects.
· Ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations.
· Monitor the spending of the designated projects to ensure they operate in line with guidelines.
· Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated projects are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines.
· Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching and through the promotion of capacity building of local staff.
· Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
· Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated projects by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
· Monitor and review the security status of the areas of operation on a regular basis.
· Ensure all staff and all visitors receive appropriate briefings and on-going training.
· Ensure security plans and protocols for the areas of operation are updated and implemented.
· Train Project Managers in security planning, management, implementation and monitoring.
· Have good understanding of counter terrorism legislation and policy of key donors.
· Ensure designated projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements.
· Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes.
Team Spiritual Life
· Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
· Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
· Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
· This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
· Experience and willingness in training / mentoring staff.
· Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
· Advanced leadership and project management skills. Planning, assessment and analytical skills.
· Good report and proposal writing skills, good negotiation skills.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1