UN JOB in China from International Organization for Migration
Position Title : Programme Manager
Duty Station : Beijing, China
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 21 January 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic
Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Eswatini,
Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission and in cooperation with relevant units at Headquarters (HQs) and the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation, oversight and coordination of the second phase of the EU-China Dialogue on Migration and Mobility Support Project (MMSP II), which is currently under development.
This 3-year project aims to facilitate and strengthen the EU’s dialogue on migration and mobility with China by building upon the results of the first phase of the MMSP which was implemented by IOM from 2015 to 2018 with funding from the Partnership Instrument of the European Union. In particular, the MMSP II will support the existing dialogue and its expansion, further facilitating regular migration and mobility, while fostering efforts towards the protection of migrants as well as the prevention and reduction of irregular migration flows from China including addressing trafficking in human beings and smuggling of migrants.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic direction, analysis and input to the CoM on the implementation of the MMSP II.
- Manage the overall implementation of the project in a timely manner, being responsible for administrative and technical oversight of the project, in line with IOM’s policies and practices as well as donor requirements.
- Liaise with relevant interlocutors on programme implementation, facilitating information exchange and project cooperation, as well as promoting IOM-implemented initiatives.
- Manage and coordinate the work of all staff assigned to the project.
- Oversee the work of short-term experts and consultants retained under the project including but not limited to project activities related to capacity building and trainings, research, analysis as well as monitoring and evaluation.
- Manage financial/budgetary planning, exercise quality control over all procedures and documents within the project and ensure proper follow up as necessary.
- Oversee and coordinate reporting on the project activities, including ad hoc, interim, annual and end-of-project reports.
- Drive the development of reports, presentations, talking points, and briefings on project activities.
- Ensure project visibility through preparation and submission of project-based newsletters, summary reports, or other materials to relevant stakeholders.
- Lead project development efforts for the continuation of existing projects and/or for new project initiatives in the related field in close coordination with the CoM.
- Represent IOM in working groups, seminars, conferences and other events in the IOM
programmatic context within China and abroad as directed.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional.
• Experience and proven skills in working on migration governance both at policy and operational levels, specifically in the areas of immigration and border management, labour migration, return and reintegration and/or trafficking in human beings;
• Previous experience in managing EU-funded projects is an asset;
• Knowledge of EU policies, strategies and frameworks on migration management including readmission;
• Experience in working in and/or knowledge of China is highly desirable;
• Experience in project management, planning and implementation, research and policy formulation;
• Experience in liaison with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
• Excellent drafting, communication, negotiation and public speaking skills; solid diplomatic skills;
• Demonstrated ability to supervise, train and motivate staff in a multicultural team environment;
• Good level of computer literacy.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Chinese Mandarin, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 21 January 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 08.01.2019 to 21.01.2019
Requisition: VN 2019/07 (P) – Programme Manager (P3) – Beijing, People’s Republic of China (55773073) Released
Posting: Posting NC55773074 (55773074) Released
- Salary Offer $3000 ~ $10.000
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Dropdown field Option 1