UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a future
The UNICEF Office for Relations with EU Institutions oversees and coordinate UNICEF’s relationship with European Institutions, especially the European Commission (DG DEVCO, DG ECHO, DG NEAR etc.), the Council of the EU, the European External Action Service, and the European Parliament. The Office strives to profile UNICEF as a strategic partner and a broker of knowledge for children’s and women’s issues towards the EU Institutions with a clear positioning for a human rights approach and a results-driven approach, in both the development and the humanitarian spheres with a focus on the Nexus.
The Office is also responsible for analyzing the EU funding environment and various financial instruments to identify and mobilize quality resources for children in support of UNICEF’s Strategic Plan. It also works to enhance Country and Regional offices’ understanding and strengthening of the Organisation’s partnership with the European Institutions, while supporting their strategic interactions with respective EU Delegations and ECHO offices at country level.
How can you make a difference?
Under the overall guidance of the Senior Advisor, Humanitarian Affairs, the consultant will contribute to the gathering of donor intelligence, collecting information and researching on new potential areas of funding.
The consultant will also work on the management aspects of EU funds distributed for humanitarian aid to UNICEF Country Offices. He/she will provide technical assistance to UNICEF COs regarding their project activities, implementation of projects, requests for amendments, progress reporting, data analysis, final reporting and evaluations in support of achievement of programme/ project goals and objectives.
- Assist the Senior Advisors for Humanitarian Affairs with policy engagement in several thematic issue-areas.
- Support with the drafting of briefing notes, including participating in meetings with the relevant parts of the EU institutions during their visits.
- Summarise/analyse information and trends reflecting current obligations and future programme/ project and/or budgetary implications, required to carry out specific operational/control tasks for programme/project implementation (e.g. notes for the record, reminder notices, draft inputs for policy briefing notes, etc.)
- Based on FAFA and UNICEF rules, regulations and agreements, provide professional technical assistance in the preparation of the project proposals, review and adapt reports, propose modification to budgets submitted by the Country Offices and Regional Offices to ensure quality standards are met.
- Monitor programme implementation progress and compliance, making sure that CO/RO ensures properly spending at the interim and final report as well as for ad hoc reporting.
- Collaborate with Country Offices in the formulation of project proposals and their specific objectives, ensures results-based approach and assists in strengthening the quality of the project to be consistent with the legal and operational requirements of the EU.
- Contribute to the coherence, synergy and added value of the project and design of its results, indicators, activities and budget allocation by providing professional technical assistance in preparing viable recommendations on project implementation, alternative approaches and optimal utilization of resources to ensure the achievement of stated objectives.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Two years’ experience in related field, experience working with the European Union will be an asset.
- MA in international politics, social sciences, human rights, development policy, law, etc.
- Experience of working with the European Union.
- Experience with a UN agency is a strong asset.
- Passion for and knowledge in children’s rights and understanding of UNICEF’s mandate.
- Ability to work in a multicultural/international environment; Excellent writing and research skills as well as analytical and conceptual thinking; ability to synthesize diverse sources of information and then communicate it concisely and effectively.
- Ability to work independently and within a set time frame.
- Fluency in written and oral English; Knowledge of a second language such as French would be an asset.
- Computer literacy (Office 365, Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, SAP).
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- Reporting and coordination:The incumbent will be based in Brussels and S/he report to the Senior Advisor, Humanitarian Affairs.
- Duration of the consultancy:From September to end of December 2019.
- Contract type: Applicants are requested to indicate a gross monthly fee. Expenses related to duty travel will be covered by UNICEF separately.
- How to apply: Complete the online application form with CV and cover letter.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=523964
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5