Organization: Islamic Relief
Closing date: 20 Oct 2019
Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW) is currently recruiting for the position of a Country Director – Philippines, who will be responsible for over-all country office management, outlining strategy, supervision, programme development, representation and overseeing all aspects of IRW’s presence in the country. Central to the position will be the establishment and development of relations with key players, including donors, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, government offices, local partners and other stakeholdersIslamic Relief Worldwide (IRW) is currently recruiting for the position of a Country Director – Philippines, who will be responsible for over-all country office management, outlining strategy, supervision, programme development, representation and overseeing all aspects of IRW’s presence in the country. Central to the position will be the establishment and development of relations with key players, including donors, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, government offices, local partners and other stakeholders.
The CD will be responsible for managing a team of national and expatriate staff. You will be responsible for overall implementation of programmes, monitoring and reporting the progress to the international office in Birmingham and the donors. In addition, you will be monitoring risk management and ensuring compliance and quality improvement of the country programme.
The successful applicant will need to have previous experience working in a senior management position in INGO(s) in developing countries including that of CDs/HOMs/CRs. The post holder should have knowledge and experience of wide range of development programmes and humanitarian assistance, fundraising from and dealing with institutional donors such as EC, ECHO, UN, USAID, Sida and DfID etc. The applicant should possess strong networking and advocacy skills by demonstrating previous engagements with institutions and government departments. In addition, substantial experience and knowledge of effective budgetary control and grant management is required.
It is essential that the candidate has a University degree in international development or relevant field with considerable experience at senior management level including human resources, operational management, programme planning and budgeting, risk analysis & management, and financial management. The candidate must also be gender and child protection sensitive, as well as sympathetic to the aims and objectives of Islamic values and principles. Excellent communication skills in English is essential whilst knowledge of a local language would be an advantage.
BASE LOCATION: Cotabato, Philippines (with frequent field visits)
- To represent Islamic Relief Worldwide at all levels in-country
- To strengthen IRW’s relations with the host government, the development cooperation sector, the INGO community, the civil society and the media to consolidate and develop the visibility and image of the organisation
- To deliver effective programmes according to the Country Strategy Paper and Regional & Global Strategies
- To facilitate professional and systematic communication and cooperation between the different parts of the IR family to ensure maximum impact of the organisation’s work
- To lead, manage and develop staff in order to ensure that the country office is capable of fully achieving its agreed targets
- To facilitate in fundraising from locally available sources including donors and the corporate sector
- To manage risks, ensure compliance and quality improvement of the country programme
1. PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION**
· Provide strategic direction to ensure the effectiveness and positive impact of the programmes implemented by the CO and sub-office(s) and take a role in the annual strategic planning process
· Maintain effective communications within the programme and with the Regional Desk at the International Programmes Division at IRW head office in Birmingham, UK. Review, update and communicate the country situation analysis and emergency response twice a year to the Head of Region
· Ensure the production of high quality donor reports, annual reports and project proposals for both IRW and donors by the agreed deadlines
· Ensure transparency and accountability in all programmes and follow humanitarian accountability principles and standards
· Ensure programmes are gender-sensitive and adhere to child protection principles and other IRW principles and policies
- PROGRAMME MONITORING AND EVALUATION**
· Ensure effective and continuous monitoring of the appropriateness, effectiveness, impact and direction to the programmes implemented in the country using appropriate IRW and other international tools
· Develop and implement innovative approaches to monitor the performance of programmes
· Ensure adequate evaluation of the impact of the programmes and measurement of change as a result of the programmes
· Monitor and ensure the capacity of budget holders to manage and monitor their budgets and ensure proper expenditure phasing
· Spend at least 20% of time in the field meeting beneficiaries and field staff.
3- STRATEGIC DIRECTION AND PLANNING**
· Provide overall strategic planning leadership and technical backing for CO programmes in line with IRW’s strategic parameters
· Ensure the Country Strategy, thematic areas of work as well as the Annual Country Business Plan and Emergency Preparedness Plan are implemented in line with regional and global strategies and reviewed as necessary in consultation with staff and stakeholders
· Ensure that projects fit into the overall country strategy and thematic areas and that this integration is understood by all involved
· Work with programme teams, partners and beneficiaries to produce action plans as per the country strategy within agreed timeframes
· Contribute to regional and IRW global policy/strategy development based on the experience of the country programme
· Maintain and update on a regular basis emergency preparedness and response plans for the country
· Contribute to the development of policies on major issues and/or advocacy with a range of stakeholders
- FUNDRAISING, REPRESENTATION AND NETWORKING**
· Identify potential donors and institutional funding opportunities and secure funding sources in-country for country programmes/projects. Spend at least 30% of the time for fundraising
· Build and strengthen significant relationships between IRW partners, INGOs (also join consortium as appropriate), UN, institutional donors and relevant Government Departments at all levels
· Be cognisant of advocacy opportunities and develop these as appropriate through the media, the civil society, government, the UN, international agencies, donors and diplomatic missions
5- STAFF CAPACITY BUILDING, SUPPORT AND DEVELOPMENT**
· Ensure the full implementation of IRW’s Personnel Management Policies and Code of Conduct
· Ensure that a human resource strategy is implemented,, monitored and reviewed vigorously as an integral part of the strategic implementation process
· Optimise staff performance through ensuring that effective processes are in place to support and encourage their personal and professional development, conduct yearly performance review of staff, and oversee complaint and disciplinary procedures
· Lead the Country Management Team (CMT) in the addressing of the day-to-day crucial management and programme issues through an appropriate participatory and open team approach to decision making
6- SUPPORT ORGANIZATIONAL LEARNING**
- Ensure that there is an appropriate contribution to policy development and advocacy at a regional and global level based on the experience of the country programme
- Contribute to IRW’s efforts to influence policies of major donors, the private sector and UN agencies
- Ensure the promotion of information exchange, writing up programme case studies and learning from experience at all levels, (country, region and global)
7- SECURITY AND HEALTH AND SAFETY**
- Maintain an overview of the political and security context, noting how developments may affect programme work
- Ensure that robust and effective security and evacuation plans and procedures are in place and regularly reviewed and updated in order to security of all staff at all times
- Ensure all staff are aware of, adhere to health and safety policies and guidelines, and regularly review these policies
8- ADMINISTRATION AND MANAGEMENT**
1- Maintain an effective Country Management Team (CMT) in country office and sub-office(s) to facilitate involvement of staff in the running of the programme through an appropriate participatory, open team approach to decision making 2- Ensure financial, procurement and budgetary guidelines and controls are strictly adhered 3- Ensure accounts are produced on time and in accordance with IRW policy and procedures
4- Ensure effective grant management in accordance to IRW procedures and performance targets
9- OTHER DUTIES
Carry out other duties as directed by the Head of Region and associated with the job purpose
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and sympathy with the Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to Islamic Relief Worldwide’s vision and mission
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
1- Work experience working as a Country Director / HOM / CR or a senior management role with an International NGOs
2- Proven track record of working with INGOs in developing countries in sustainable development, climate change, or emergency contexts
3- Substantial experience and knowledge of effective budgetary control and grant management
4- Knowledge and experience of fundraising from and dealing with EC, ECHO, Sida, UN and DFID and other institutional funders
5- Experience of and commitment to participatory management and maintaining a supportive, open environment to ensure the learning and development of all staff
6- An in depth understanding of international development issues
7- Gender approaches, child protection, and humanitarian standards and principles in relief and recovery
8- Community Development, Social Protection, Food Security, Urban Poverty, Climate Change etc.
- Experience of managing and mentoring local and international staff
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, sensitivity to others views and perspectives and conflict resolution
- Proven experience in overseeing programmes; understanding of quantitative and qualitative data in support of programme development
- Problem solving skills
- Culturally sensitive
- Demonstrates the flexibility and energy that is required for a high level of self management and awareness
- A working knowledge of a second language spoken in Philippine is desirable.
How to apply:
If you are reliable, service minded, discreet, dedicated and a highly motivated professional, with a strong commitment to IRW’s values and beliefs, please apply by downloading the application pack from our website www.islamic-relief.com and forward the completed form to [email protected] on or before the closing date of 20.10.2019.
Islamic Relief promotes equality and meritocracy, and seeks individuals who agree with the IR values together with our policy standards on Anti-Bribery, Child Protection and Code of Conduct. We will carry out screening checks and will take out references on your behalf if you are selected.
Applicants should be sympathetic to the principles of Islamic Relief
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No CVs.
Islamic Relief operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications.
- Salary Offer $10.000 ~ $20.000
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 10-20
- Text Area field 8am - 5pm