Requisition ID: req2669
Job Title: Pharmacy Advisor
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY – HQ
Background/IRC Summary: Health programs represent the largest single sector within which IRC currently operates, constituting approximately 45% of the international budget and with activities in more than 35 countries. IRC health programs worldwide provide drugs, medical and surgical equipment, and disposables to health facilities managed by the Ministry of Health and nongovernmental organizations. IRC is also engaged in direct provision of health care to beneficiaries where needed. Thus, procurement and rationale use of drugs, medical equipment, instruments and disposables are necessary and high cost activities for IRC health programs.
IRC Health Unit contributes to the effectiveness of IRC health programs through technical support, staff development, and institutional learning. IRC Global Supply Chain provides operational support for pharmaceutical supply chain needs of IRC country programs, including support for international procurement and guidelines for local procurement of pharmaceuticals. The two units work together to ensure that pharmaceuticals for IRC health programs are selected in accordance with the essential drug lists, good quality products are procured in a timely manner and at a reasonable cost, pharmaceuticals are stored and distributed appropriately, stock out and wastage are minimized, and pharmaceuticals are used rationally by the providers and patients.
Job Overview/Summary: The Pharmacy Advisor- will be expected to play a key leadership to provide drug management related technical assistance to country health programs, including mentorship of relevant staff support country programs for all drug management issues.
- Support continuous improvement of the in-country pharmaceutical management in all IRC operations; assessing level of organizational compliance with internal policies and guidelines as well as universally endorsed protocols and standards for pharmaceutical management
- Regularly perform supportive supervision to country missions in order to assist, advise, train and build the capacity of field medical and pharmaceutical as well as logistics and program staff on all components of the pharmaceutical supply chain management.
- Responsible for ensuring development & submission of high quality grant proposals covering all aspects of pharmaceutical management (drugs selection, forecasting and supply planning, metrics, inventory management policies, staffing plans, budgeting, etc.).
Country support & Mentorship
- Provide support in identifying, recruiting and onboarding process of key pharmaceutical staff for country programs
- Assist in designing and delivering in-house training courses for IRC staff based on a capacity needs assessment with all country programs and operations staff in the region
- Support and respond to requests and enquiries concerning drugs and pharmaceutical management by country programs through undertaking relevant research and capacity building of team members during field visits, remote support and other capacity building strategies such as distance learning
- Occasional deployments on needs basis to provide surge capacity to country programs in pharmaceutical management roles
- Work with procurement team and country programs to conduct regular good distribution practices assessments to local wholesalers where required
- Strengthen the compliance and standards of implementation in line with host country/WHO guidelines, protocols and standards in response to gaps identified based on the technical assessments. Where Quality Assurance standards cannot be met due to operational constraints, work with health and operations teams to identify a suitable course of action and feasible mitigation actions
- Focal point for post-quality control review (quality control laboratory for products)
Performance Measurement & Reporting
- Work with the Regional Supply Chain Director(s), health coordinators and other key colleagues to develop & refine specific health supply chain performance measurement
- Participate in and support the representation of IRC in the region at relevant technical coordination meetings, donor meetings and communications for sharing evidence and best practices through formal and informal channels
- Participate in networking on pharmaceutical and drugs management technical issues and representation on relevant forums
- Develop quarterly work plans and reports to share with the Health Unit and with other relevant headquarters teams
The duties and responsibilities listed in this document are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and not necessarily all inclusive.
Job Requirements: Education:
- Degree in Pharmacy; Master in Public Health and/or training in pharmaceutical supply chain.
- A combination of pharmacy degree and supply chain training or public health degree is a plus.
- At least five years’ experience in drug management/medical logistics/ pharmaceutical supply chain, with progressive increase in responsibilities.
- Proven track record in managing and strengthening pharmaceutical supply chains in challenging contexts
- At least one year field experience in humanitarian setting
- In depth understanding of pharmaceutical good distribution practices and excellent knowledge of Quality Management Systems is a plus.
- Demonstrates the ability to work cooperatively and effectively with other employees.
- Maintains good work relationships both internally and externally and has the ability to work productively as a team
Situational Judgment: Demonstrates the ability to make good decisions about what should be done given a specific situation. Thinks carefully before taking action and behaves appropriately for the circumstances
Problem Solving Skills: Demonstrates the ability to use creativity, reasoning, past experience, information and available resources to resolve issues
Leadership: Takes responsibility for actions, decisions, and outcomes. Can confidently take the lead role on a team, if and when necessary
Language Skills: English proficiency is a must; Arabic and/or French a big plus
Travel Requirement: 30 – 40% of the time
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=YXN0cmlkLm1hdGhldy44MTAwNS4zODMwQGlyY2NkLm…
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1