Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 12 Feb 2020
Position Title : Junior Professional Officer – Migration Project Specialist
Duty Station : Kathmandu, Nepal
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : JPO, One year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 February 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The main focus of the IOM JPO programme is achieving IOM’s Global mandate on Migration which includes emphasis on the Global Compact on Migration, IOM’s leading role in the Migration Network and the migration related activities of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s.)
IOM started its operations in Nepal in 2007 facilitating the resettlement of Bhutanese refugees to
8 countries. Since then, IOM has expanded significantly both in terms of programme areas, target populations and has contributed to the government of Nepal’s efforts to manage migration more effectively through a wide range of programmes.
In order to address the growing challenges and maximize the development potential of migration in the country, IOM is working together with the Government of Nepal and other partners to assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration, advance understanding of migration issues, encourage social and economic development through migration, and uphold the well-being and human rights’ of migrants.
IOM is a member of United Nations Country Team and works with-in the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) whose strategic areas are derived from the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Nepal’s Fourteenth National Development Plan.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the National Program Officer, the Junior Professional Officer is responsible for the coordination and management of various projects on migration management and migration governance as described below:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Developing new programmes/projects in relation to Migration Management and Migration Governance in cooperation with Country Offices (COs) and/or targeting countries without representation, ensuring compliance with identified needs and IOM’s strategies, thematic guidelines and project development procedures, taking into account good practices and lessons learned in the field.
Assist the project team to effectively implement the programmatic, administrative and operational components of the assigned labour migration management projects that will support and enhance the effort of the Government of Nepal to advance 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development and Global Compact on Migration objectives.
Reviewing and providing analytical feedbacks/inputs on the national/regional research/studies prepared and submitted by the Consultants on the domain of labour migration management, Migration, Environment and Climate Change (MECC) and Disaster Risk Reduction (DDR) domain.
Support the project team to co-facilitate capacity building training program on mainstreaming migration and disaster risk reduction targeting national, provincial and local stakeholders.
Support in developing communication strategy, preparing documentation of the project process, project correspondence for publication and dissemination targeted at various level of stakeholders.
Support to timely development of work-plans, establishment of internal Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) tools and regular progress reporting mechanisms.
Monitoring the project activities against its outcome indicators including the project budgets, evaluate financial implementation align with the project activities and make necessary recommendations.
Coordinate and maintain close liaison with project partners and stakeholders and provide necessary technical assistance to partners for smooth functioning of the projects.
Assist the team with project development and reporting in the thematic areas of labour migration management and disaster risk reduction.
Collating information to support the team to undertake Migration, MECC and DRR related programs and projects.
Assist in the planning and organization of meetings, seminars and workshops.
Perform such other duties as maybe assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Migration Management, Social Sciences, Law or other related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of work experience.
• Minimum of two to three years’ work experience either on project development, project management, database management, project monitoring and evaluation relevant to migration governance and migration management;
• Experience of working in a multi-cultural setting.
• Advanced English writing, communication and negotiation skills
• Ability to collect and analyze data on migration management and migration governance topics
• Computer/software literate, preferably knowledgeable in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat and
Photoshop with experience of maintaining a website
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge in Nepali is an advantage.
This post is opened to Finnish nationals only.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
COACHING AND LEARNING ELEMENTS
As an integral part of the IOM assignment, the Junior Professional Officer will:
• Gain experience in an International Organization, including management and international cooperation activities, as well as understanding the dynamics of regional and international initiatives and working groups.
• Be able to draft and finalize concept notes and project proposals, using the IOM logical and legal framework.
• Participate in the development of programs, projects, trainings and workshops related to different migration areas.
• Gain experience in working with governmental, non-governmental and United Nations institutions in Nepal.
The Junior Professional Officer will be provided with regular feedback on his/her performance and progress, with special attention granted to goal setting and overcoming challenges.
• Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
• The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment or visa requirements and security clearances.
• No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 12 February 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 23.01.2020 to 12.02.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: JPO 2020/01 (P) -JPO- Migration Project Specialist- Kathmandu, Nepal (56316057) Released
Posting: Posting NC56316058 (56316058) Released
- Salary Offer $3000 ~ $10.000
- Multiple Select field
- Text Area field 8am - 5pm