Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent, medical, emergency relief organisation that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. Above all, we aim to save lives and to offer medical care to victims of disasters, wars and epidemics. Working together with local staff, we give direct support to the population. MSF also appeals to those in power, including governments and international organisations, and speaks out about the abuses we encounter in the course of our work.
The Public Health Department of Operational Centre Amsterdam (OCA) supports the overall purpose of MSF, providing medical and public health leadership for the organisation. The department is responsible for providing strategic direction and integrated advice on medical and public health issues to the field and headquarters. The PHD plays a key role in developing and maintaining the medical humanitarian identity and image of MSF-OCA, and in continuing to develop and improve intervention strategies so as to be relevant and effective.
At Médecins sans Frontières (MSF) / Artsen zonder Grenzen, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. Our diversity fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our beneficiaries and the communities in which we work. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, ability status and all other diversity characteristics.
The Public Health Department is made up of a group of generalist Health Advisors (based in Amsterdam and Berlin), and clinical and public health specialists (based in Amsterdam and London), providing expertise across a range of fields including infectious diseases, non-communicable diseases, mental health, nutrition, paediatrics, and vaccination as well as epidemiology, health promotion, laboratory, pharmaceutical quality/medical supply, and water/sanitation.
The Maternal and Child Health (MCH) team combines a variety of specialists with a common theme of maternal and child health (reproductive health, paediatrics, nutrition and vaccination advisors) in addition to other specialist with a broader focus (mental health, epidemiology and sexual and gender based violence advisors).
Effective immediately the OCA Public Health Department of Médecins Sans Frontières is looking for a:
Paediatric Advisor (80%)
Based in Amsterdam
This position reports to the Coordinator Maternal and Child Health and works closely with colleagues in of other related specialities across the three location.
Objective(s) of the position
· To provide expert advice and specialist support across MSF OCA, operations and colleagues within the Public Health department on paediatrics/neonatology;
· To implement the operational policy (development, introduction and continuous improvement) of the PHD in the field of expertise.
Specialist advisor role:
· Promotes the vision of the PHD in the field of paediatrics/neonatology;
· Gives expert advice and technical support to colleagues in the department (Health Advisors and relevant Specialists) and to other departments on inter-disciplinary issues regarding the field of expertise;
· Support intra-disciplinary and inter-disciplinary (e.g. Logistics, E-desk and Advocacy & Operational Communications) program activities, and gives expert advice regarding program set-up for paediatric services in the assigned Medical Support Teams (MSTs);
· Contribute to the development of guidelines, protocols, training tools, etc, to support the paediatric /neonatal policy ;
· Initiates/performs operational and literature research and analyses developments in the field of expertise;
· Monitors and evaluates the quality of the interventions in the programs for paediatrics within the assigned MST;
· Communicates with field staff on paediatric/neonatal priorities within projects (within assigned MST’s) and gives technical support by briefing and debriefing.
· Executes field visits to coach and advise field staff on paediatrics/neonatology within MST’s;
· Provides training of staff on internal training courses, and ensures knowledge transfer on new policies, protocols, guidelines, etc.
· Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and commitment and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
· Contribute and support to the development of the 2020-2023 paediatric strategy led by the MCH coordinator
Education, qualification, and experience
· Qualified in paediatric medicine (doctor) with at least 3 years independent experience in this area of practice
· MSF experience, 2-3 years desirable
· Experience working in geographically dispersed team desirable
· Commitment and passion for the goals of MSF.
· Current registration/license with relevant national professional body.
Capacities and skills
· Competent providing expert level advice demonstrating a flexible approach in the technical area of expertise
· Is able to self-direct, problem solve and produce timely outputs;
· Strong communication skills, with a style to collaborative work and prioritise effectively in a multicultural team
· Good analytical and communication skills are essential, as well as an excellent command of the English language (oral and written communication); French or Arabic an asset (Dutch is not necessary);
· Sensitive towards diverse cultural and professional backgrounds;
· Enthusiastic, motivated and independent; able to work with minimal supervision;
· Able to work under time pressure on various projects and deadlines at any given time;
· Must be willing to live and work in the Netherlands; able to visit and support projects at short notice, and willing to spend up to 20-30% of time in the field; able to attend meetings in MSF offices worldwide.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice (Chantilly) an association.
· A challenging and exciting position in an international environment
· A contract for one year (subject to satisfactory performance) (32 hours/week).
· A gross monthly salary in scale 7 between minimum € 3.286 to maximum € 4.692 depending on professional experience, (based on a fulltime appointment)
· Other benefits include 30 holidays based on a fulltime appointment and a premium-free pension plan
Information and Application
If you are interested in this post and would like additional information, please contact Harriet Roggeveen via email (Harriet.Roggeveen@amsterdam.msf.org)
If you believe that you fit the profile, you can react directly via the ‘Apply’ button.
Please upload a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae in English as one combined document.
Deadline for application is 19 July 2019
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5