Organization: Oxfam Novib
Closing date: 25 Sep 2019
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development, and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.**
Oxfam Novib is looking for an
for Cabo Delgado, Mozambique
The Mozambique Cyclones Idai and Kenneth response team is composed of a main coordination team in Beira, with field offices in the provinces of Cabo Delgado, Sofala and Zambezia and works closely with partners in these locations. The response is an integrated multi-sectoral response composed of water, sanitation, and hygiene promotion; food security and vulnerable livelihoods; gender; and protection.
To represent, manage and ensure the effective implementation of Oxfam Mozambique’s Cyclone Kenneth Response and Resilience Programme. She/he ensures that programmes are tightly managed, policies are implemented and strategies are adjusted according to the local context, key standards of reporting, programme quality and accountability are met, and that there is adequate integration of various programmes (WASH, Food Security, Gender and Protection).
The post holder is responsible for ensuring the timely delivery of an integrated Oxfam response in line with donor contracts, adhering to the overall Cyclone Idai and Kenneth Refugee Response, Recovery and Resilience Strategy and technical sub-strategies, as well as key standards of programme quality, reporting and accountability.
The Cabo Delgado Area Manager is a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and is expected to be committed to Oxfam’s vision and values and lead with integrity always. S/he represents Oxfam/COSACA (Humanitarian Consortium consisting of Oxfam, CARE and Save the Children) at senior levels with provincial authorities, the UN, donors, local partners and other external stakeholders.
Location: Macomia in Cabo Delgado Province, with regular travels.
This role reports to: Cyclone Idai and Kenneth Response and Resilience Lead
Staff reporting to this post: Technical Team Leaders, HR/Finance, Logistics and Security Advisor
Budge responsibility: 20,000 Euros on Programme Budgets related to the programme
- Assume overall management of all Oxfam programmes in Cabo Delgado Province.
- Ensure that key Oxfam policies are implemented and strategies are adjusted according to the local context.
- Coordinate and work with technical team leaders to ensure standards of reporting, programme quality and accountability are met.
- Ensure the implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems within the area programme and field teams.
- Lead/support on proposal development/design in coordination with Programme Lead, Technical Coordinators/Team Leaders, Funding Coordinator and Finance Manager.
- Ensure timely and regular budget monitoring and management of the programme, including supporting the development of quality reporting against objectives and budgets through setting up of robust management arrangements.
- Lead or participate in assessments of emergency situations within focal area, reporting back with clear recommendations, an analysis of needs and gaps and strategy, proposals and budgets for Oxfam’s response.
- Oversee the preparation of high quality and timely reports on programme activities for internal and external use, including institutional donor reports. Ensuring quality and timely narrative and financial reporting to Oxfam and donors.
Staff & Team management
- In line with Oxfam performance management procedures, line manage technical team leaders/coordinators; ensuring that overall performance management is in place and used effectively.
- Ensure that recruitment and management of field staff is in accordance of Oxfam procedure and policies, including performance management, appropriate induction, and opportunities and training for capacity development.
- Ensure the programme design integrates capacity building of staff and local partners, and that realistic hand-over arrangements are planned for early on.
Humanitarian Strategy and Planning
- Operationalise the overall Cyclone Idai and Cyclone Kenneth Response, Recovery and Resilience Strategy in Cabo Delgado in coordination with relevant government departments, local and international partners.
- Work closely with COSACA Humanitarian Consortium Coordinator and Save the Children and CARE Counterparts as well as INGC, Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement and other key actors on contingency planning/pre-positioning ahead of the rainy season.
- Operationalise Oxfam’s new humanitarian approach, focused on community engagement, feminist principles, safe programming and local humanitarian partnerships.
Supporting Programme Quality and Implementation
- Proactively raise programmatic issues for direct programme action and advocacy, supporting Oxfam’s response on wider policy and practice change.
- Proactively ensure that gender equity, quality and accountability issues are taken into account in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Work with technical leads to ensure partnership principles are understood/applied and that clear MoUs, strategic and operational plans are in place for partner organisations and implemented.
Advocating and Communicating on Oxfam’s work
- Represent and develop good relationships with authorities and other agencies, be proactive in ensuring that Oxfam develops and maintains a positive profile.
- Ensure that Oxfam’s Programme is coordinated with those of other organisations and with the Government of Mozambique.
- Keep informed of relevant programme issues and contribute to wider programme learning.
- Advocate on key issues at provincial level and feed into external advocacy initiatives at national, regional and global level as required.
- Work closely with the Advocacy Coordinator to operationalise the Response Advocacy Strategy at provincial level and suggest and develop focus areas for advocacy work.
- Keep informed of relevant programme issues and initiate and contribute to wider programme learning – also by initiating and facilitating programme learning events and evaluations.
- Reporting internally on key advocacy issues that support programming.
- Represent Oxfam internally to country staff, modelling core competencies and behaviours of Oxfam humanitarian staff (“leading by example”), inspiring managers to help staff grow into Oxfam’s organisational culture. Post holder is also expected to promote this behaviour within the teams s/he supervises or oversees.
- Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
Skills, experience and knowledge
- Post Graduate Degree or Degree with equivalent work experience from a recognised University/college in International Development or any other related area that can bring added value to the job.
- A minimum of seven years of international experience of managing complex emergency programmes in a variety of settings – particularly WASH, EFSVL/livelihoods, Gender, Protection programming.
- Significant experience of managing emergency projects and programmes in complex and insecure environments with limited supervision.
- Initiative and motivation to work independently and develop solutions to problems. Highly flexible in style with the ability to produce creative and pragmatic solutions to complex problems.
- A proven record of effective and complex management including managing budgets, staff and funding of the programme. This includes excellent people management skills, with a good understanding of team development and proven financial management skills.
- Analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Excellent organisational, problem-solving and negotiation skills. The ability to remain calm whilst dealing with conflicting priorities/work under pressure is essential.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal English) and the ability to write clear, concise reports and influence verbally to persuade with diplomacy and tact.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims, policies and values.
- Experience of promoting gender equity and diversity and the interests of marginalised people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work
- Diplomacy, tact, negotiation skills and an excellent sense of humour.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to create effective teams and work with external actors in a range of contexts.
- Knowledge of Portuguese OR Spanish.
- Knowledge of Oxfam policies, procedures and systems.
- Experience of working with partnerships and community-based groups.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
How to apply:
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please use the ‘apply‘ button. Your application must be received by September 25th, 2019 at the latest. Please note that only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Therefore, people of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colours, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position.
Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment. Acquisition on the occasion of this vacancy is not appreciated.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Text Area field 8am - 5pm