Role & Responsibilities
Provide key support & coaching for the countries to manage of all program logistics; develop/implement the country logistics policies and procedures for the management of the supply chain, including procurement, transport and distribution, warehousing and stock management, and for the management of vehicle fleets, communication systems, and assets. This role is key to help programmes deliver goods to the most vulnerable people. You work under the supervision of the international logistics manager and in a functional relationship with the other Global Support Office (GSO) departments.
Medair GSO provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our Global Support Office and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes and to recruit international and GSO staff.
Workplace & Conditions
Based in Medair Global Support Office (GSO), Ecublens, near Lausanne, Switzerland.
· Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
· For more senior / technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply.
· This is an GSO based position in Ecublens Switzerland, with up to 20% field/emergency deployment.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
January 2019 for 6 months (maternity cover).
Key Activity Areas
· Advisor- Liaison with GSO and field country team members, especially Head of Country Programme, Finance, HR, Programme Officer and Logistics Manager of assigned country programs to provide logistics support & advice.
· Ensure procurement planning is in place for all projects. Oversee the implementation of and compliance with Medair logistics procedures, policies, and management tools; when necessary, propose improvements.
· Contribute to and validate the logistics component of proposals, budgets and project reports
· Follow developments and changes in donor procedures, requirements, and guidelines
· Develop, organize and give training to logistics staff both at GSO and in the field and in the yearly global logistics workshop.
· Carry out field visits and assess adherence to logistics procedures, identify possible areas for improvement, develop and implement changed and new procedures where needed
· Contribute to improvements of Medair’s logistics processes.
· Participate in new country logistics requirements (develop supply chain, open/close base, fraud prevention plan, market assessment).
Business Process Expert
· Act as the BPE (Business Process Expert) for logistics related processes within Medair.
· Ensuring policies and procedures are developed, improved and kept up-to-date, serve as a reference point for questions, information, and training.
· Professional qualification in logistics or training in Supply Chain Management, Business Management, humanitarian logistics or a related field. Certification in procurement would be desirable.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· Minimum 2-years relevant logistics and management experience in emergency and/or development context at a coordination level.
· Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
· Advanced planning, coordination, assessment, analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Processes and procedures understanding and implementations. (specifically procurement).
· Experience of logistics in a cross-cultural, challenging environment as well as training competency for logistics.
· Capacity to work under pressure and to tight deadlines and oversee multiple tasks.
· Excellent project management skills and strong leadership to lead cross-functional projects.
· Prepared to undertake extensive field travel to country programmes for deployments; and willing to work in remote, basic conditions and insecure locations.
· Demonstrable knowledge of rules, regulations and donor policies governing the compliance/regulatory management of procurement rules from US, EU, UN and other agencies.
· Technical understanding of mechanical and communication equipment.
· Ability to communicate effectively with programme teams and be able to represent Medair with UN organizations, other international NGO’s and local authorities worldwide.
· Excellent English (spoken and written). Ideally, French.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for International Global Support Office staff.
a) go to our Current Vacancies page
b) and apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
- Salary Offer $3000 ~ $10.000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1