The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill a Legal Officer position at the P3 level, based at our Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Senior Legal Officer the Legal Officer, P3 will be responsible for the following key duties:
- Provide legal advice on a wide range of legal matters;
- Draft and negotiate contracts;
- Provide advice on liability exposure and risk mitigation; participate in negotiations and settlement of claims and disputes with public and private entities;
- Undertake legal research and analysis and prepare legal opinions, studies, briefs, reports and complex correspondence;
- Contribute to developing new legal modalities within the framework of WFP’s normative guidelines;
- Assist in servicing standing boards, committees, working groups and task forces;
- Contribute to building productive partnerships with other Legal Offices across UN system;
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men;
- Other as required.
Qualifications & Experience Required Education:
- Advanced University degree in Law, or First University degree in Law with additional relevant experience and training;
- Must be qualified to practice law or admitted to practice law by a recognized national or state bar or law society.
- At least five years of relevant progressively responsible experience as a lawyer in a law firm or in a private-sector legal department with international exposure or in an international organisation in the area of contract and commercial law;
- Understanding of international public law is desirable.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Demonstrated ability to draft contracts ad-hoc that are appropriate to contractual counterparty and context;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; demonstrated ability to take independent decisions;
- Strong business acumen and ability to think strategically;
- Solid communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills;
- Strong time management and priorities management skills;
- Adaptability and ability to work on a wide range of legal issues.
- General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures, desirable.
- Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages).
Mobility is and continues to be a core contractual requirement in WFP. This position is however classified as “non-rotational” which means the incumbent shall not be subject to the regular reassignment process unless the position is reclassified as rotational. Terms and Conditions
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. He/she will be required to travel abroad sometime to remote and difficult locations.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
Deadline for applications:
31 August 2018
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
WFPhas zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1