Closing date: 06 Feb 2020
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Project Manager – Head of Base
Duty station: The post holder will be based in Tripoli (Lebanon) with several field visit in the Akkar and T5
Starting date: 07/02/2020
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Program Coordinator for the project related component Head of mission for the Base management
Supervision of: 30 employees
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian non-profit, humanitarian aid organization founded in 1992. The mission of INTERSOS is to support people, families and communities in areas most effected by crisis around the world, providing crucial assistance to populations in life threatening situations, in situations of famine and suffering resulting from extreme poverty, disasters, and conflict.
INTERSOS started to work in Lebanon in 2006 to support the Lebanese people affected by the Lebanese-Israeli war. Since 2013 INTERSOS has been supporting the vulnerable populations in Lebanon affected by the Syrian conflict, including both Syrian refugees and affected Lebanese communities.
The project in Tripoli is designed and implemented in accordance with the Lebanon Crisis Response Plan, UNHCR and INTERSOS Protection Frameworks. It aims at supporting a favorable protection environment for Syrian refugees in North Lebanon through the provision of legal services, including support to registration of civil documentation, implementation of protection monitoring outreach, including referrals and information dissemination as well as through the provision of case management, community-based protection services and identification of children with specific needs.
It is implemented in North Lebanon (Akkar and T5 districts) with a sub office used for activities in Halba. The legal component are implemented in partnership with the Tripoli Bar Association (TBA). The Child Protection component is new in 2020.
General purpose of the position
The position includes two main components: the management of the UNHCR funded protection project, and the global supervision of Tripoli base and its daily functioning.
On the project management, the Project Manager is responsible for the overall management, economic and financial administration of the project and for its entire implementation process, ensuring the achievement of its objectives and results.
As Head of Base, he/she is responsible for the whole coordination and supervision of the support functions (admin/finance, Logistic and procurement, human resources and security) in coordination with relevant departments.
In collaboration with the SMT, s/he will be in charge of identifying funding opportunities, arising needs to contribute to project design and proposal writing.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensures an effective planning, implementation as well as monitoring and evaluation of the UNHCR funded project’s sub-components (Legal, Protection Monitoring, CP) and timely delivery services according to targets set in the project description.
- Guarantees an efficient financial management for the project, in compliance with INTERSOS model and donor regulations
- Conducts regular meetings with program and support (as needed) staff to follow up on project implementation including revision of targets against achievements, identification of gaps in the response in order to define needed adjustments in the implementation
- Ensure the relationship with the different actors of the project (donor, partner, local authorities…)
Team Management & Human Resources Management
- Ensures project team management and coordination
- Ensures regular performance evaluation of project staff (national and international, as needed) in line with internal regulations.
- Ensures timely recruitment of national staff, in coordination with relevant support staff, as per INTERSOS policy for staff recruitment.
- Ensures respect of and adherence to INTERSOS rules and regulations, code of conduct and ethical values chart.
- Ensures and proposing capacity-building opportunities for national staff, keeping clear oversight and reporting on trainings attended and conducted by national staff.
Financial Management and procurement
- Prepares and ensures regular update of financial plan,
- Verifies and approves purchase, in line with the budget and the financial and procurement plan.
- Verifies on a weekly basis the bookkeeping entries in the INTERSOS accounting spreadsheets (PN): verifying budget line allocations, budget expenditure status against actual delivery and the financial plan for the project implementation period.
- Ensures purchases of goods, services, supplies are in line with the relevant INTERSOS procurement guidelines and procurement plan
- Verifies the list of expenditures, prior to finalizing the interim and final financial reports.
- Holds final responsibility for verification of all support documents.
Monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Delivers timely quality reporting on project activities (Monthly, Mid-Year, final report UNHCR project), including findings in terms of impact on individual and communities.
- Provides monthly updates to the Program coordinator about project progress including achievements vs targets using the monitoring tool developed by INTERSOS (PAT)
- In coordination with the M&E Coordinator, contributes to the preparation of the Monitoring and Evaluation plan (UNHCR project)
Project Strategy, reporting and planning
- Contributes to the formulation of new projects as well as of the program strategy for the respective area of intervention
- Ensures a comprehensive vision of the intervention in Tripoli strengthening the complementary of different projects implemented in the area.
- Collaborates with the other HOB in order to integrate the different intervention in the same long term strategy.
Coordination and representation
- Establishes and managing relations pertaining to project activities, with relevant stakeholders, local authorities, relevant donors and institutions. (UNHCR, TBA…)
- Responsible for the partnership management (MoU, follow up, instalment…)
- Proactively participates and represents INTERSOS in relevant working groups (i.e. inter-agency and other relevant working groups) at the regional level
- Proactively engages in bi-lateral meetings with other INGOs and NGOs active in relevant sectors and geographical areas to avoid duplication, ensure coordination and referral and work for complementary efforts.
- Ensures systematic information and update sharing with the Programme Coordinator and relevant colleagues.
- Ensures coordination of support functions (i.e. administration, logistics, security, HR) at Base level.
- Responsible for the premises management (offices rental)
- Analyzing and updating the security situation in North, in close coordination with the Liaison Officer and suggesting Head of Mission possible adjustments of security measures according to the identified situation in the area of operation.
- Ensures regular update of the Comprehensive Planning Process (CPP) as requested by the Head of Mission.
Any other duty demanded by his line manager.
Required profile and experience
- Master’s degree in Refugee law, International Human Rights Law, Forced Migration and Refugee Studies, Gender studies or other relevant to the position
- At least 4 years in humanitarian assistance and 2 years of international relief and emergency experience in senior (Field Coordination and up) positions in a multicultural environment, preferably in an emergency setting
- Previous experience in the Middle East region (desirable)
- Experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts, with experience in supporting emergency responses, access and security analysis and management
- Background in protection and human rights emergency projects, especially in SGBV and Child Protection
- Ability to set high standards for quality of work and quick adaptability and flexibility in a stressful environment
- Ability to manage human, technical, administrative and financial resources.
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
- Fluency in English, spoken and written;
- Arabic is an asset.
- Perfect knowledge of all the phases of the PCM.
- Ability to work in partnership with local organizations and under stressful conditions.
- Excellent diplomacy skills
- Ability to delegate and work in a team
- Flexibility (will have to take on responsibilities that might not be directly on his/her JD)
- Adaptability to changing work environment and possible volatile security situation
- Stress management skills: the ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads;
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach.
- Good computing skills
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “**Platform issue** – SR-34-1276 – PM/HoB – Lebanon”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
- Salary Offer $3000 ~ $10.000
- Multiple Select field
- Text Area field 8am - 5pm