Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Intern will assist with logistical, research, and administrative support for the Human Rights Support Mechanism (HRSM) team. The intern will have the opportunity to gain experience in proposal management, aspects of new programmatic development tools, and skills to measure and evaluate ongoing global projects all while learning about relevant and developing human rights issues.
He/she will work collaboratively with the HRSM team as well as other regional teams within the Washington, DC headquarters. He/she will demonstrate an academic background in international development, foreign affairs, knowledge of human rights, strong interest in democratic principles, and career aspirations related to our work.
This internship position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Program Officer for the HRSM team.
- Intern must be enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrate a strong proficiency with MS Office Suite, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate with others and work as an effective team member
- Interest in human rights, democracy, global politics and/or other international development concepts
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles preferred
- Experience living, volunteering, working, or studying internationally preferred
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with background research needed for knowledge product development, evaluations, and program activities, particularly focused on enabling environments and human rights
- Assist with administrative and logistical support for day-to-day functioning of HRSM team
- Assist with database maintenance
- Attend relevant events and other external meetings as necessary and provide write-ups for staff to use as resources
- Assist with other related projects as needed.
- Assist with organizing events and meetings in DC related to Freedom House programs
- Provide administrative and logistical support for day-to-day functioning of the HRSM team and the international programs division.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time. This internship will encompass the fall semester. Interns may be either full or part time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to submit an online application and upload a resume and cover letter.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1