Closing date: 22 Jan 2020
Role & Responsibilities
Enable operational effectiveness in Medair operations. A core member of the QI Department, and in particular the dynamic unit of field-focused Logistics Advisers to support, inform and capacity build field staff in close collaboration with GSO Logistics – Core Unit colleagues, as well as across the organisation, to enable necessary Logistics advice and support is provided to all country programmes and Global-ERT.
Medair Head Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff*.*
Working as an important member of a diverse team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care, the Global Logistics Adviser will support the efficient and effective operations of Medair’s work.
Workplace & Conditions
Medair Germany based in Wiesbaden, Germany. Travel for 16 weeks per year.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
Effective operational support to field country programmes
- Support, through guidance, advice and direction, Medair’s existing and emerging Logistics & Supply Chain Management (SCM) operations, including identifying technical expertise and ways of working to address poor practice & scale up and / or replicate good practice.
- Build an evidence-base of good practice, including through writing or capturing case studies & recommending, undertaking or commissioning evaluations, cost benefit analyses.
- Develop and maintain a technical approach strategy for Logistics and SCM, including an agreed team purpose, outcome, ways of working and process for gathering evidence, and dissemination, of good practice.
- Provide organisational strategic guidance in logistics and SCM expertise, niche and effectiveness.
- Enable Medair to become more effective at Logistics including internal fund allocation and external fundraising and by working in consortia and private sector.
- Monitor and disseminate learning from external practice. Maintain and strengthen regular communication and exchange of information between GSO and Field logistics staff.
Technical Logistics Advice & Training
- Capacity build colleagues with technical advice including mentoring, induction and briefing.
- Relational mentoring of a network of colleagues to build a community supporting logistics operations to jointly capture case studies of good practice and learning from where we have not succeeded & build and share evidence, learning and practice on logistics between countries / regions.
- Participate in and share learning with other relevant communities of practice.
- Contribute to and validate the logistics component of proposals, budgets and project reports.
- Carry out field visits and assess adherence to logistics procedures, identify possible areas for improvement, develop and implement changed and new procedures where needed.
- Develop, organize and give training to logistics staff both at GSO and in the field.
- Develop training plans with all staff for essential logistics knowledge as well as specifically with logistics-focused staff which will include promoting external training e.g. Provide training to staff at appropriate venues, including but not limited to the ROC, GSO Briefings and Inductions, and during field trips.
- Available for immediate deployment to Medair emergency response to new or existing country programme and on the roster for 24/7 logistics support.
- Advise and leverage the technical innovative aspects of Medair projects.
- Continuous learning and fail forward approach.
- Maintain a corporate overview of technical practice across the country programme teams to communicate good practice internally and externally including external networks, NGOs, Missions, Donors and Alliances.
- Represent Medair in external networks and forums as agreed by the Head of Logistics Team.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree. Masters degree in humanitarian SCM field desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Ability to work in Spanish/ Portuguese/ French or Arabic.
Experience / Competencies
- 5 years professional experience at management level with at least three years working on humanitarian operational logistics programming.
- Experience in project design and monitoring; and evaluation of humanitarian projects.
- Experience of designing and implementing logistics related projects.
- Experience in designing and conducting market assessments.
- Proven team management in humanitarian sector.
- Successful experience of project cycle management, especially in fragile States.
- Experience of living in an insecure environment.
- Experience in designing accountability and beneficiary feedback systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian and donor standards related to logistics.
How to apply:
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Profiles sought and Benefits Package for Global Support Office Staff.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
- Multiple Select field
- Text Area field 8am - 5pm