The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP’s supply chain spans the entire process of end to end planning, sourcing and delivery of assistance. We deliver safe and quality food, goods and services for WFP and the humanitarian community.
The assignment of a Food Safety and Quality Officer P4 – Cairo, Egypt, is aimed at shape and lead the implementation of food safety and quality management systems at a regional level, providing guidance and advice to the Regional Bureau Cairo and Country Offices.
The Food Safety and Quality Officer P4 IS responsible for partnering with the key supply chain functions to ensure an integrated supply chain approach to meeting the food assistance needs of beneficiaries.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
This job is located in Cairo, Egypt and reports to the Chief of the Food Safety and Quality Assurance Unit (OSCQ) in Headquarters:
- Across the region, lead the dissemination and implementation of corporate policies and procedures on the WFP approach to food safety and quality matters, ensuring alignment with OSCQ priorities.
- Collaborate with other relevant services and divisions for the establishment of protocols for risk and incident management to enable rapid response to situations with food safety and/or quality and/or integrity concerns, to ensure food safety and quality is embedded in any food related WFP operation.
- Oversee the implementation of supplier* food safety and quality management programmes in the region, including supplier assessment, audits and review of corrective actions implementation.
[*supplier includes: food manufacturers, inspection companies, laboratories, transportation companies and warehouses]
- Guide and oversee the establishment of field operations systems to support the prevention and mitigation of food safety and quality issues.
- Lead implementation of risk-based food safety and quality procedures and practices within the supply chain and WFPs operations, including traceability and, warehousing practices, to mitigate the risks associated.
- Support Country Offices within the Regional Bureau Cairo with the development of risk matrix and mitigation actions related to their specific food operation, including production, CBT and any fresh food delivery to beneficiaries. Conduct periodic compliance review on risk level priority basis to guarantee adequate food safety and quality standards are met throughout operations.
- Lead incorporation of Food Safety and Quality within the various different nutritional programmes – CBT, School Feeding, P4P, Smallholder farmers and others, to align these with the corporate food safety and quality assurance standards.
- Lead technical discussions related to food safety and quality within the Region and serve as focal point to related topics among external parties, prioritizing the improvement of food safety and quality approach.
- Lead food safety and quality training within the region. This includes providing traditional training, coaching and guidance as required, to enable awareness and high performance of staff in topics related.
Ensure Food Incident Management protocol is followed by leading and coordinating response to Food incidents in her/is geographical area.
Build relationships and collaborate closely with counterparts in key supply chain functions to implement food safety and quality policy and guidelines that maintain, monitor and verify food safety and quality along the WFP supply chain. Support and closely collaborate with food technologists at Country Office levels (where applicable) and ensure regular group discussions on appropriate and context specific implementation of the food safety and quality assurance systems.
Oversee and prepare accurate and timely accounting, data collection and reporting, to inform supply chain planning and contribute to a WFP wide view of food safety and quality issues and activities, enabling informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
Represent WFP at specific food quality and safety and/or supply chain seminars and conferences.
Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
Other accountabilities, as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree in Food Safety and Quality, or First University degree with additional years of working experience and/or training courses in Food Technology or related technical area.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant progressively responsible experience in Food Safety and Quality.
- Technical knowledge in food safety and quality systems and standards, HACCP, food technologies, food processing.
- Experience in managing teams in food or food-related companies.
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
- Intermediate level of written and spoken Arabic is highly preferred.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Embedded skills and mindset focused on risk assessment and risk management, action-oriented and comfortable to stand-alone.
- Ability to analyze complex situations and recommend decisions among conflicting priorities, prioritizing the safety and quality of the food and final consumer.
- Experience in food processing auditing.
- International working experience and/or with teams of different composition and background.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term as well as a rotational contract with a probationary period of one year.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
June 24, 2020
How to apply:
To apply follow the link:
- Salary Offer $3000 ~ $10.000
- Multiple Select field
- Text Area field 8am - 5pm