During the past two years, UNDP Somalia based in Nairobi has been working hard on the Change Management Business Processes, aiming at increasing its presence and operations in the field offices based in Somalia, which will allow the CO to be more efficient, flexible and responsive to the country/government priorities. In addition, the increased presence in the field offices will contribute to enhancing and building national staff capacities through delegation of authority. Building office operational capacity becomes imperative considering that more operations are taking place inside Somalia, including the financial transactions through the Hawala system and dealing with high financial risks associated with no existence of an adequate banking system inside Somalia, neither proper fiscal control from the government authorities on local vendors operations.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Country Director (Operations), the Finance Specialist is responsible for effective delivery of financial services, transparent utilization of financial resources and management of the CO Finance Unit. He/she analyzes and interprets the financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex financial issues. The Finance Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-oriented and consistent approach in the Unit with due diligence as regards rules and regulations.
The Finance Specialist supervises and leads the staff of the Finance Unit. The Finance Specialist works in close collaboration with the operations programme and project teams in the CO, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials ensuring successful CO performance in Finance.
The Finance Specialist performs the Deputy Operations Manager functions with focus on UNDP Somalia internal business.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
· Implementation of operational strategies
· Projects’ budgets management and organization of the cost-recovery system
· Control of CO accounts
· Control of CO cash management
· Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
· Effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight
· Inter-office Operations Management
- Ensures implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system.
· Operalization of ATLAS in the sub-offices inside Somalia; ensuring accountability procedure in place with the Money Vendors used to effect payments.
· CO Finance business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance, control of the workflows in the Finance Unit.
· Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects.
· Elaboration of the framework and conditions of contributions within the CO resources mobilization efforts.
- Manages management projects’ budgets, advises on management of development projects and organizes an optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Financial resources management through planning, guiding, controlling of the resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations
· Preparation and monitoring of management projects’ budgets; Advisory and guidance services to programme staff on development project budgets.
· Contributes to the development projects’ budgets preparation/modification monitoring system, control of budgetary status versus authorized spending limits (ASL) and budgets delivery levels.
- Elaboration of proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management.
- Preparation of cost-recovery strategy in Atlas for the services provided by UNDP and responsible for proper implementation.
- Elaboration and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies.
- Ensures proper control of CO accounts focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Elaboration of the internal expenditures’ control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared; MPOs, travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed.
· Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
· Control of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and follow up with partners/other units on contributions.
- Ensures proper CO cash management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other UNDP staff at HQ on the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and record of contributions.
- Primary contact with local bank management on routine operational matters including negotiation of exchange rate on replenishments.
- Transaction and stop payment approval on internet banking systems
- Approval and submission of monthly UN exchange rate reports to Treasury
- Timely and accurate approval of bank reconciliation, including documented review of exceptions.
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals, selecting bank transfers and deals for approval and settlement.
- Performing Paycycle manager role in Atlas
- Timely preparation of monthly cashflow forecast for use by Operations Manager. Liaison with UN Agencies to obtain estimate of their cash requirements.
- Role as cashier for cash disbursements made on site.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Finance.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Ensure effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Financial analysis and oversight for all resources managed by the CO and provision of high-quality professional advice to the CO management;
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, including extra-budgetary income in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Organization and oversight of CO cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, bank relationship management, timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site;
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other UNDP staff at HQ on the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained;
- Monitoring the overall position of the Finance Dash Board;
- Member of bank signatory panel.
- Level 2 Approving Manager for all POs/vouchers/journals initiated by Nairobi office.
- Inter-office Operations Management in the function of Deputy Operations Manager:
- Ensure Implementation of Internal control Framework strategies and control over the Atlas user profiles assigned to the staff;
- Participation in common-services management in Nairobi and in Somalia sub-offices with aim to effective cost-recovery;
- Audit preparation focal point for the Operations Team;
- Follow-up actions on the audit recommendations implementation by all operations units.
IV. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in financial resources management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Accurate, thoroughly researched and documented financial information, timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and enhance UNDP credibility in use of financial resources. CO audit compliance as well as ICF compliance.
· Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
· Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
· Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
· Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP practice areas
· Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UNDP practice areas
· Develops substantive knowledge in one or more Practice Areas
· Demonstrates strong coaching/mentoring skills, regularly providing helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
· Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
· Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
· Ability to formulate and monitor management projects
· Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery
· Strong IT skills
· Ability to implement new systems (business side) and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
· Focuses on impact and result for the client
· Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
· Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
· Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
· Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
· Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
· Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior
VI. Recruitment Qualifications
· Master’s Degree in Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics or related field.
· UNDP IPSAS Certifications are an asset.
· Minimum of 7 years professional experience in projects’ administration, project management, financial management and audit management within the private sector or International NGOs.
· Knowledge of ATLAS Modules, internal financial management and control framework(s) is required.
· Knowledge of audit track, accounting and budgetary procedures and techniques, procurement of goods and services, stocks and assets control.
· Experience in handling issues pertaining to multi-donors funding, reporting systems, especially within the context of large fiduciary funds
· International experience in post/in-conflict settings
· Excellent knowledge of computer standard applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
· Knowledge and understanding of audit and financial management functions in post conflict or emergency settings
· Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
· Knowledge of Somali or Arabic is desirable but not a requirement.
Applications to be submitted online at: https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=17787&hr…
- Salary Offer $3000 ~ $10.000
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Dropdown field Option 1