NGO Jobs in Ethiopia. Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 02 Sep 2019
Position Title : Media and Communications Officer
Duty Station : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 02 September 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic
Republic (the); Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States
of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Paraguay; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission in Ethiopia and the direct supervision of the Project Development and Policy Officer and in coordination with the Programme Managers, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting with the implementation of internal and external communications, public information, and media related activities of IOM in Ethiopia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide technical inputs for the development of and implement a communications strategy for IOM in Ethiopia. Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of strategy and content of similar past and planned public information campaigns in Ethiopia and make recommendations for improvements.
- Contribute to the development of a work plan for implementing effective information campaigns. Participate in the design and preparation of appropriate information campaigns for a variety of thematic areas and target groups.
- Draft and disseminate public information within the Mission and within IOM and to external sources, including media, donors, United Nations agencies, government counterparts and other interested stakeholders.
- Develop and strengthen the mission’s links with local, regional and international media to promote the work of IOM in Ethiopia, as well as the crisis, through regular liaison, answering when appropriate or coordinating answers to media requests, disseminating approved press releases and briefings, and coordinating and organizing media trainings and interviews.
- Based on specific instructions, draft key messages, statements, talking points and other relevant background documents for dissemination, upon approval, within IOM and for use with media and partners.
- Coordinate and participate in inter-agency media and communication working groups as applicable to encourage information flow across agencies and to develop complementary media strategies.
- Inform field and programme staff on public information, media and communication issues.
- Recommend and organize outreach activities and assist the COM and SMT in carrying out initiatives to promote IOM’s image and to increase the awareness of IOM activities in Ethiopia. Inform the COM and Programme Managers on media and communication issues/campaigns.
- Support the development and dissemination of communications and various media resources for crisis-affected communities based on key messages and concerns in the context of Ethiopia.
- Utilize social media communication tools (including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook, IOM Global and IOM websites) to increase awareness of IOM’s work in Ethiopia.
- Participate in mission key events and workshops and undertake field duty travels as needed to acquire material, including photographs of work being undertaken by the field, that would promote IOM with donors and government.
- Liaise closely with Programme/Project Managers to assist with regularly updating mission information products, platforms, updates, infographics, and situation reports.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Journalism, Mass Media Communications, Public Information or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Excellent skills in drafting, editing and graphic design;
• Online communication and social media skills;
• High level of professionalism and ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines in a complex and fast changing environment;
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
• Demonstrated gender awareness and gender sensitivity;
• Knowledge of international agencies like the UN an advantage;
• Knowledge of international journalism, including coverage of international organizations, may be a plus;
• Experience working in the region and/or in an emergency setting an advantage;
• Drives and fosters understanding of Media and Communications concepts amongst key personnel in IOM;
• Correctly and effectively applies knowledge of traditional and social media;
• Interfaces across units and departments within IOM to extract relevant information.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of any local language, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 02 September 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 20.08.2019 to 02.09.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2019/234 (P) – Media and Communications Officer (P2) – Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Posting: Posting NC56106933 (56106933) Released
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Text Area field 8am - 5pm