PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Mercy Without Limits is seeking an Education Project Manager to oversee a non-formal, self-learning education project to be implemented in the north of Syria.
S/He will be responsible for the day to day implementation and coordination of project activities.
S/He will ensure appropriate project implementation in accordance with established work plans, lead project reporting efforts in collaboration with the MEAL Department and maintain working relationships with local partners while responding to changing conditions in the areas of operation.
The position will be based in MWL’s Gaziantep office and will include the remote management of a team in Syria on the ground.
Functional and hierarchical reporting lines: The Project Manager directly reports to the Education Programme Coordinator and is under the overall supervision of Head of Programmes. The Education Project Manager is expected to coordinate closely with other departments within MWL, including Food Security and Livelihoods, Capacity Building, Protection, as well as supporting departments such as Procurement, Finance, HR and M&E.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Project Implementation
· Responsible for the management and implementation of a non-formal, self-learning programme implemented in northern Syria. This includes all phases of the project cycle, from planning project activities, monitoring progress, ensuring accurate budget monitoring/spend as well as timely achievement of the project’s milestones and reporting on project results.
· Recruitment, training, and development of the capacities of project staff;
· Managing activities in line with MWL’s projects, Syria education strategy, and sectorial guidelines;
· Developing and maintaining a database of project outputs, activity tracking, training evaluation and achieved results to provide information for both internal and external reporting;
· Draft/update MWL Standard Operating Procedures related to non-formal education and/or self-learning activities.
· Ensure timely procurement and smooth operational support in the field through close coordination with the Logistics Department, and provision of necessary program inputs (including regular updates of the project procurement plan, technical inputs for procurement, purchase requests, etc.).
· Plan relevant activities and related BoQs/procurement (according to MWL’s SOPs), coordinate with the field team for feedback and planning, supervise and monitor the activities and report on the outputs and implementation details.
· Calculate regular cash needs related to education coordination/capacity building activities. Ensure any needs are coordinated with the Education PC on a regular basis/as requested.
· Supervise field teams to ensure progress against plans, timely reporting of outputs, challenges, liaison with local partners and communities. Ensure that main programmatic decisions and plans related to non-formal education are being communicated to the field teams in a timely manner.
· Oversee timely preparation of relevant programme documentation for approval from Gaziantep programme and finance teams, including payment planning documents, beneficiary signature lists, Payment Approval Forms, etc.
· In coordination with the Education PC, lead development and implementation of rigorous control mechanisms related to non-formal education to ensure compliance with internal and donors requirements (procurement, approvals, and accountability and anti-fraud mechanisms).
· Review and approve key project documentation related to non-formal education project.
· Strive for continuous improvement of quality of the education programme by collecting, strengthening and sharing know-how and good practice internally.
· Through close monitoring of the context, developing approaches and activities ensuring promotion of the “Do No Harm” principles.
2. Human Resource Management
- · Provide day-to-day support, coordination and mentoring to field teams in relation to non-formal education;
- · Manage the non-formal education team, allocate tasks, monitor the completion, mentor and support their development (relevant skills and knowledge).
- · Support the recruitment of new education staff through contribution to the development of TORs, testing and interviewing of candidates.
- · Contribute to the planning of and participate in, regular planning and activity status meetings with the field team and Gaziantep based assistants (in cooperation with line managers).
- · Actively represent MWL as necessary at relevant Cluster (and related Working Groups) meetings, and other Coordination Forums, fostering strong and productive working relationships with key stakeholders in the education sector.
- · Liaise with field teams and other relevant external actors (education cluster, self-learning partners, ad-hoc coordination forums) on emerging humanitarian needs and conflict dynamics related to non-formal education, and where necessary, alert the Education PC to needs and opportunities for assistance.
- · Coordination with all other MWL Programme and M&E department on assessments, analysis, procedures and implementation;
4. Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E)
Lead M&E activities in coordination with the Education PC, M&E Team and field teams including :
a) design and implementation of relevant needs assessments, baseline surveys, PDM surveys, end-line surveys, and other monitoring and evaluation mechanisms to ensure M&E data that is consistent with internal and donor requirements;
b) ensure monitoring and control over the remotely managed activities under this positions’ authority in Syria.
Ensure data collection related to non-formal education is collected, analyzed and reported to Education PC, M&E officer and, where relevant.
5. Grant Development / Reporting
· Ensure timely reporting from the field, check reporting from field level for quality, accuracy, and consistency with internal and donor reporting requirements, and provide feedback to field teams for improvements as necessary.
· In cooperation with line managers, ensure that expected project results, outputs, and outcomes under this position ’s authority are monitored and met within the project timeframes.
· Coordinate with the field team for accurate data collection, compile and develop reports/ reporting inputs for key donors related to the activities under this position’s authority, as described within this ToR.
· Summarize and share weekly updates regarding the activities allocated with the Education PC.
· Cooperate and support any other tasks related to coordination and capacity building as requested by the Education PC.
· Provide input for grant/donor and programme milestone and reports to Programmes
· Establish and implement an internal reporting system.
· Update monthly situation reports and Grant performance Tracker.
· Other tasks assigned by employee’s Line Manager corresponding to actual needs of the mission, programs, and projects.
· Substitute relevant colleagues (fully or partially) during their absence when assigned by employee’s Line Manager.
· Understand and adhere to the mission’s National Staff Handbook, MWL Code of Conduct, MWL Key Policies and relevant guidelines.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- · Bachelor ’s in social sciences or Economics Field Essential.
- · Education University Education completed.
- · Experience of working within the education sector for a humanitarian organization (preferably in non-formal education or self-learning programmes);
- · Good contextual knowledge of local community and social/cultural constraints, realities and organizational relationships.
- · Experience in management of multicultural teams in complex settings.
- · Technical expertise in Children in Emergencies, Education, or Child Protection.
- · The position requires the ability and willingness to travel to field sites within Syria.
Essential / Preferred:
· Knowledge & Skills Logical and analytical abilities Essential.
· Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge through informal and formal training Essential.
· Excellent knowledge and experience in non-formal education programs such as accelerated learning, catch-up, and healing classes
· Excellent M&E and tool development skills linked to the education sector and self-learning;
· Familiarity with the humanitarian context in the north of Syria (preferable);
· Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts (preferable);
· Experience in budget management, reporting, and donor relations;
· Experience of managing staff, preferably through remote management;
· Strong critical analysis and problem-solving skills;
· Fluency in English – both written and verbal.
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team Essential.
· Good organizational and time management skills Essential.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in English Essential.
· Computer proficiency in word processing, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel.
· Notes and other internet applications Essential.
If you interested applicant for the position, please fill the application and attach CV and cover letter as a single document including explaining your salary expectations to as soon as possible via the following link:
For more information, please do not hesitate to contact us on the following email:
Please kindly be informed that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5