Position Title: Disaster Response Manager
Location / department: Brussels headquarters, with regular travel to Mission East field offices and readiness for short-term deployment for disaster responses in new locations
Operations Department – Quality, Learning & Development Unit
Length of contract: Permanent contract
Responsible to: Quality & Learning Manager (QLM)
Line Management of: N/A
Mission East is an international relief and development organisation, founded in Denmark in 1991.
Mission East provides emergency assistance after disasters, works to improve long-term living conditions for communities struggling with poverty, and advocates for the inclusion of marginalised groups such as people with disabilities.
Mission East’s vision is to empower people and communities in crisis affected countries to lift themselves out of poverty and marginalization.
Working in some of the most remote regions in the world, Mission East is committed to overcoming challenges to reach underserved and vulnerable populations in the Middle East, Asia, and Eastern Europe.
More information on Mission East can be found at: http://www.missioneast.org
This role is a new position being added to Mission East’s Operations Team in Brussels as part of the Quality, Learning and Development Unit.
This unit provides cross-cutting support to all country teams and partners, striving for continuous improvement across the organisation.
The Disaster Response Manager will play a critical role in promoting excellence in disaster response and security processes.
The Disaster Response Manager is responsible for developing and maintaining Mission East’s capacity to engage in disaster responses, provides surge capacity for new responses, and supports effective security systems across the organisation.
Key tasks and responsibilities
Support Mission East’s disaster response capacity
- Review, develop, and promote policy, tools and processes for disaster response
- Capacity building of local partners and Mission East country teams to respond to future and ongoing disasters, including development of preparedness and contingency plans
- Promote good practice in disaster response, including compliance with Core Humanitarian Standards, inclusive approaches, good monitoring and evaluation practices and links to Disaster Risk Reduction efforts
- Monitor trends and opportunities in the humanitarian aid sector and engage in networking
Play an active role in new disaster responses
- Carry out initial assessments for new responses
- Act as a lead programme staff deployed to disaster responses in new locations and provide surge support to country-teams/partners responding to new disasters
- Provide HQ programme management support to new responses when not deployed to the location, including liaising with other departments and alliance partners
Support effective security systems across the organisation
- Promote security good practice throughout the organisation
- Maintain up-to-date HQ security documentation and systems
- Provide security inductions and promote security awareness
- Participate in HQ Crisis Management Teams
- Follow developments in security good practice and participate in relevant networks
Provide flexible support and additional capacity to the Operations Team, particularly in peak periods
- Prepare or review project proposals or reports to donors
- Contribute to multi-country reviews/applications
Desired Profile Qualifications required
- Degree in a Humanitarian/Development studies or similar field and/or relevant experience.
- 5 to 10 years of experience working in the relief and development NGO sector
- Minimum 3 years field experience in humanitarian responses
- Field experience in medium to high security contexts
- Experience developing or working with disaster response and security systems
- Awareness of humanitarian quality standards (Core Humanitarian Standard, SPHERE, Red Cross Code of Conduct, and others)
- Solid project assessment, design and management skills
- Understanding of the humanitarian coordination system
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, and able to work with colleagues and partners with diverse skill levels, language levels and perspectives (often through remote communication)
- Able to thrive on a variety of tasks; flexible and easy-going
- Strong problem-solving abilities, strong logical analysis skills and a constructive attitude
- Strong English communication skills (written and verbal). Additional languages will be considered an added asset.
- A proactive, diplomatic and clear communicator, including via well-structured writing
- Highly organised, proactive, able to work independently
- Agreement with Mission East’s Organisational Values
To apply for this post, please visit www.miseast.org/vacancies , where you will be able to complete an application form. an application should include a detailed CV and a Cover Letter. Please ensure that all sections are fully answered as candidates will be initially screened using data submitted on the online form.
Final closing date for this position is 25/11/2018
- Salary Offer $10.000 ~ $20.000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Dropdown field Option 1