Deputy Chief of Party/Operations
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over three hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party/Operations
Department/Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reports To: Chief of Party
Type: Regular Full-Time
Classification: This is a managerial, exempt level position
IBTCI is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party/Operations for its Somalia Program Support Services (SPSS) project based in Nairobi, Kenya. This position will provide USAID Somalia and Implementing Partners (IPs) with high-level, demand-driven advisory and related support services for performance and impact measurement, performance-based communication and information management. This position is open to Kenya nationals and residents only.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
Oversee day-to-day SPSS operations, finance and administrative activities. This includes the following:
Operational Support to Task Orders:
- Develop a detailed work plan for each Task Order with the input of technical staff and make adjustments as appropriate.
- Maintain an electronic Task Order calendar of key deliverables and events; and share with USAID Somalia CORs/AORs, and Program Office Staff.
- Monitor task order implementation against the work plans and provide mentoring, coaching and capacity-building/training to staff, as needed.
- Oversee the provision of day-to-day operational and administrative support to the various Task Orders under the SPSS IDIQ. This includes liaison with home office to facilitate international travel for all international Short Term Technical Assistance (STTAs); procurement of equipment such as laptops, mobile phones, recorders, etc. needed for data collection; procurement of translation and transcription services; arrangements for logistics travel to various areas in Somalia.
- Travel is essential and may include travel to fragile and conflict-prone zones. An average of 25-35% travel to Somalia is expected. Percentages may vary based on business and project needs.
SPSS Office Management:
- Monitor the effectiveness, timeliness and quality of services provided by third-party service providers, ensuring all service level agreements are adhered to and inform the Chief of Party (CoP) of any possible shortcomings.
- Work with the Finance and Administration Manager to ensure the office lease, parking spots, and all other contracted services are paid for in a timely manner and in accordance with the various contracts and agreements.
- Liaise with the Landlord and the facility managers for all issues related to SPSS offices
Human Resource Management:
- Serve as the Human Resources designated point of contact for the SPSS Field Office vis-à-vis Home Office.
- Organize and manage recruitment of long term local staff for SPSS Field Office and, with the CoP and Deputy Chief of Party/Technical, review and propose short-term consultants.
- Recruit and, onboard short-term consultants and teams and assist program staff with management of short-term consultants and teams, along with the CoP and other Nairobi-based staff, and HO staff.
- Partner with the CoP to schedule and conduct mid-term and annual staff performance appraisals, and liaise with HR staff in HO to effect any recommendations from these appraisals.
- Implement IBTCI policies and procedures to ensure a high level of employee morale and staff retention.
Banking and Finance Operations:
- Collaborate with the CoP to implement the separation of duties in the Finance and Admin Office per HO Audit recommendations of 10/23/2015. These include check authorizations, petty cash management, bank payments, among others.
- Review all payment packages for accuracy and adherence to IBTCI Finance policies before final approval by CoP
- Serve as the point of contact for the field office on all subcontract mechanisms ensuring that all subcontract processes are implemented in an open, transparent and efficient manner and that staff monitor the subcontracts to keep them on schedule, including program implementation, spending and reporting and within the parameters set by each subcontract.
- Liaise with the Finance Manager for payments, financial monitoring/compliance and closeout procedures.
Production of Deliverables:
- Review documents, proposals, reports and deliverables for accuracy, style, layout and compliance with client guidance in coordination with the CoP and the Technical DCoP.
- Track and monitor the SPSS performance indicators under Objective: To improve USAID activity effectivenessand IR 1: High quality performance management services provided.
- Represent IBTCI in meetings with senior USAID Mission, Embassy and Government officials.
- Serve as a point of contact for the client in the absence of the CoP.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in Human / Institutional Capacity Development (HICD) and/or program implementation.
- Demonstrable results oriented, flexible and problem solving skills.
- Ability to lead staff.
- Knowledge of spread-sheeting, accounting and other software and high levels of proficiency in using them.
- At least 5 years of international development experience.
- Ability and willingness to work with all levels of the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal and teambuilding skills
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment
- Ability to multi-task, cope with heavy work load and still deliver results under pressure and within tight deadlines.
- Oral and written fluency in English required.
Education: Master’s degree or the equivalent advanced degree in International Affairs, International Development, Policy Analysis, Economics, Public Administration, Business Affairs, Business Administration, Statistics/Social Research or related field required.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: An average of 25% to 35% travel to Somalia and locally in Kenya. (Percentages may vary depending on the needs of the project).
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in Kenya. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment.
- Salary Offer $3000 ~ $10.000
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Dropdown field Option 1