Expectations for the position:
Planning & learning
· Work closely with the BSM and Managers to review and complete the annual country budget planning and implementation plan for the South Sudan Programme.
· Work closely with the BSM and with the funding team to ensure that the global budget is in place and is mapped to the donor budgets.
· Work with the BSM, and managers / coordinators to identify finance needs, financial management issues and develop strategies to meet them.
· Compile the projects financial information and budgets in a comprehensive country finance budget/plan for SDX management team.
· Prepare country – level finance summary and analysis reports.
· Undertake short periods of research or project work to document experience and build up institutional learning on financial aspects of Oxfam’s work.
· Assist and facilitate in any new programme set-up by providing support to the relevant field base.
Budget Management and Donor compliance
· Provide support to country level and field programmes in the budgeting process.
· Working with the BSM and the respective managers, support the formulation of Global budgets for each programme area and proactively manage the funding gap. Maintain and proactively manage the annual unrestricted funding gap
· Ensure that donor requirements, policies and procedures are met across the programme.
· Compile budget monitoring reports monthly to the BSM for presentation to SMT;
· Ensure field finance officers give accurate monthly budget monitoring information to Programme Managers
· Close monitoring of the donor reporting schedule and the SDX business cycle to ensure timely and accurate financial donor reports are prepared and are linked to the narrative reports.
· Maintain the country funding report, ensuring no unfunded spend; ensure contract balances are reconciled periodically as per Oxfam guidelines and by Year End.
· Ensure the programme has no unauthorised suspense account, unauthorised expenditure and control expenditure in line to donor requirement
· In close collaboration with the logistics department, assist in the monitoring of programme expenditure, the transparency of systems and procedures in place and the compliance with order processing requirements of donor contracts.
· Support programme managers in their budget responsibility. Liase with them on variance explanations and solutions of covering gaps
Compliance & Risk Management
· Maintain a risk register for the country programme, proactively review existing risks, identify new/potential risks and mitigate against these. Bring significant risks, real & potential to the attention of management & ensure timely action
· Advise Oxfam of any changes/development in government policies, statutory requirements with regard to the finance function and registration of the programme that can affect the implementation of Oxfam’s programmes in the in South Sudan.
· Support the BSM to ensure that the programme adhered to all relevant statutory / legal requirements in South Sudan.
· Ensure that the overall programme meets system requirements for the programme in people soft – GL, OPAL and CRIMSON. Provide support in systems compliance to finance teams in remote locations as necessary.
· Take responsibility for the achievement of minimum finance standards in the programme. This will include ensuring appropriate practice in cash, bank management and asset management, partner management, financial accounting, internal controls/checks, authorization limits
· Internal /external audit – take a lead in preparing for audits. Support programme staff in preparing for external and internal audits, identifying external auditors, and in the audit process itself. To ensure that audit recommendations are implemented and maintained.
· Flag any foreseeable exposures related to the Programme in terms of budgets shortfall to the Country SMT and ensure it is communicated to the RFSM.
· To continuously assess and recommend training and skills upgrades for all finance staff in all locations. This will also be achieved through mentoring and supervision and also through other appropriate learning forums and methods designated by the finance manager. This will include the process/ training of Sudanese finance assistants taking up greater responsibilities in the finance function.
Management, leadership and representation
· Representation of Oxfam to external actors, as tasked by the Country Director
· Manage the Juba-based finance team according to Oxfam standards.
· Supervise all filing and document management within the finance department and ensure it is done in a systematic, coherent and transparent way so as to meet Oxfam’s needs and obligations and donor requirements.
· Provide sufficient and adequate financial management information and effectively manage the SDX and HECA business cycle in regards to financial issues (timely submission of annual budgets, monthly financial returns and reports).
· Input/support the recruitment of finance staff as well as recruit, instruct and supervise those under direct management.
· Visit the teams and programmes regularly in order to monitor the systems, procedures and assess performance of finance personnel (and make recommendations and plan of action with regard to this).
· Be involved in the performance management of all finance personnel and, to give advice to the Programme Managers concerning the job performance of finance staff.
· Generate all financial reporting for donors and Oxfam GB internal requirements, including Quarterly Management Reports
· Oversee the Year End process within set Oxfam guidelines and timelines
· Work closely with logistics manager on logistics issues, procurement and relations with suppliers.
· Oversee the payment of staff benefits and salaries and ensure these are done as per Oxfam policies and systems.
· Ensure that the Bank mandates and authorisation matrices are continuously updated and observed.
· Ensure new staff receive appropriate inductions on finance issues, procedures and compliance.
· Establish and maintain good contacts with suppliers, banks, government offices, UN agencies and other NGOs with regards to financial matters.
· Establish and maintain good contacts with the Regional Centre finance team, and the funding unit.
· Ensure the implementation of actions in support of Oxfam values and policy, including gender and diversity mainstreaming**.**
· Any other duties in the nature and scope of the position.**
Skills, Experience & Knowledge
· Relevant University Degree or equivalent accountancy professional Qualifications ACCA, or CPA (K)
· 8 years’ experience in finance and donor contract management (financial management and accounting, setting up internal control systems / carrying out audits/reviews, and well exposed to the relevant statutory /legal issues that affect Oxfam as a programme and the region as a whole). Proven experience in finance management and/or coordination in an international organisation.
· Well-developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations.
· 8 years of managerial /supervisory responsibilities, including good training and coaching skills and a willingness to support development of others.
· Previous experience with non-governmental organisations.
· Proven computer literacy and analytical skills
· Good negotiation and diplomacy skills
· Good written and spoken English is essential.
· Commitment to the aims and objectives of Oxfam.
· Commitment to humanitarian principles and action.
· Commitment to Oxfam’s equal opportunity and gender policies. Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into finance
How to apply:
Deadline for submission of applications is 16 April 2020. Interested Applicants should send soft copies of their CVs and Cover letters to [email protected].
NB: Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Oxfam is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those that are suitable to work within our values are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of screening checks.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
- Salary Offer $3000 ~ $10.000
- Multiple Select field
- Text Area field 8am - 5pm