The vision of Norwegian People’s Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement’s humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people’s living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA’s international work covers three core areas: Mine Action and Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.
Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) is looking for an experienced manager to head our programme in South Sudan. You must have strong leadership capabilities, strategic and analytical skills and with good understanding and experience from in a multi-national environment, preferably in Africa. The Country Director (CD) has an ambassadorial role and the overall responsibility for NPA’s programmes and activities in South Sudan. The CD is accountable to NPA Head Office (HO) in Oslo.
NPA began working in South Sudan in1986 and has maintained in country programmes since then. There are currently three programme pillars of: Partnership with Civil Society, Rural Development, and Humanitarian Response. NPA South Sudan has around 180 staff and an annual turnover of around 110 million NOK.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Lead the NPA South Sudan management team, ensuring inclusive and coherent management of the South Sudan programme
- Ensure that relevant strategies, policies, management systems and routines are in place and that these are adhered to
- Use your analytical skills to review programme activities, evaluate their performance, and identify areas of improvement
- Ensure good working relationship with the national authorities, donors, UN, international and local organisations
- Promote NPA in South Sudan both in the media and through public appearances
- Perform fundraising activities together with relevant NPA management
- Holds the overall responsibility for all NPA personnel, NPA’s properties and assets and ensures the safety and security of NPA staff
- Monitor developments in South Sudan, in particular the political and security situation, give advice to HO and if required, implement necessary strategic and structural changes in the country programme
- Ensure that financial and administrative procedures support programme activities in line with Head Office guidelines
- Maintain oversight and approval through budget control, including preparation of annual budgets for approval by NPA HO
- Ensure compliance with NPA’s HR policy, code of conduct and national laws
- Perform other tasks as assigned by Head Office.
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- Relevant higher education or equivalent job experience
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to achieve results through others
- Experience as a successful upper level manager (preferably at Country Director level) in an international humanitarian organisation with documented good results
- High level of organisational skills with strong knowledge of developing systems, procedures and tools
- Experience from working within a multi-cultural environment, being stress resilient and culturally sensitive
- Experience with implementing strategies, plans and achieving objectives in large organisations
- Understanding of supporting partnership through working with local partner organisations
- Understanding of different organisational capacity strengthening supports
- Exhibits strong political intuition through an understanding of political processes and ability to process sensitive information with discretion
- Experience in fundraising and donor relations
- Experience working in complex emergencies
- Excellent skills in handling and advising on change management
- Good writing skills and proficiency in English
- Excellent interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy, discretion and impartiality
- You are a good team player and have strong analytical skills.
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Capacity building skills
- Norwegian or other Scandinavian language skills.
In return we offer:
- A unique possibility to join an organisation with a high standing country programme with a challenging and exiting programme portfolio
- A possibility to develop a team of highly motivated and committed colleagues
- Salary: In addition to a competitive base salary, our salary package for this position includes post allowance, hardship allowance and a hazard allowance specific for South Sudan*
- Accommodation: Provided
- Leave: We recognise the harsh conditions of working in the South Sudanese context and the need for time off to recuperate. We have a Rest and Recuperation (R &R) rotation system in the programme, and in addition we offer six weeks annual leave**
- Flights: NPA provides three international flights per year in addition to contract start and end flights
- Insurance: You will be covered by NPA’s comprehensive insurance package which includes travel insurance, group life insurance, accident insurance and worker’s compensation insurance
- Health checks: Will be provided in connection with assumption of duty, and on an annual basis
- Contract: A one-year contract with possibility for renewal
- This position is a non-family posting.
* Terms apply according to NPA’s internal regulations
**Terms for annual holiday follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
In general we emphasise the importance of strong health, cross-cultural communication skills, positive attitude, creativity and the ability to work under pressure and difficult conditions, including willingness to travel to the programme field locations. One of NPA’s overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organisation, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
For more information about NPA, please see NPA’s website at www.npaid.org
Please note that applications will be assessed as they are submitted and that interviews may be called before the deadline.
Please also note that due to the current situation, regarding the spread of the COVID-19 virus, the process and/or the starting date might be delayed.
How to apply:
Please apply online as instructed on our website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
- Salary Offer $3000 ~ $10.000
- Multiple Select field
- Text Area field 8am - 5pm