Country Director – Lebanon
Role & Responsibilities
Oversee all programme and support activities in-country. Represent Medair in all issues relating to the country programme, play a key role in donor relations and manage the country strategy and the project implementation in conjunction with senior field managers. Ensure constructive engagement in Medair’s regional programme in the Middle East.
In response to the crisis in Syria and Iraq, Medair is delivering emergency assistance to Syrian refugees and host communities in Lebanon and Jordan, and to IDPs in Syria and Iraq. The Lebanon programme is a key multi-sectoral programme for Medair in the region. Projects are in the sectors of Health and Protection, Shelterand Information Management / Mapping.
Field based position in Beirut, Lebanon. Take a look at Medair’s work in Lebanon.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
Leadership & Management
· Design and evaluate the country strategy, in line with Medair’s Middle East Regional Strategy. Take into account community needs, donor criteria and strategies, the regional context, and an exit strategy.
· Analyse humanitarian needs, trends and political developments in the country of operation.
· Provide inspiring leadership for the Lebanon country programming, managing a team of sector specialists, managers and financial and logistics and IM support staff.
· Ensure the country programme contributes constructively to Medair’s overall regional programme in the Middle East, be in contact with the other Country Directors to discuss regional impacting issues and contingencies, sharing information and contribute to regional launched initiatives.
Donor Relations Management
· Develop contact with the in-country representatives of funding partners to secure funding for the country programme, sharing information with other country programmes in the region as appropriate.
· Present new projects for approval by the Head of Regional Programmes.
· Oversee the drafting and presentation of proposals, operational and financial reports.
· Enable frequent visits to the programme by representatives of foundations, private funders and influential visitors and support innovative funding strategies.
· Develop and maintain relationships with authorities, donors, media, other NGOs and embassies.
· In line with the Regional Communications Strategy, and via the Regional Communications Manager, ensure that the HQ Marketing and Relations (M&R) Department receives appropriate material for communication and fund-raising.
· Support the planning of budgets. Manage spending with approved budgets.
· Analyse cash flow, decide on the timing of procurements, oversee audits and anticipate where over or under spending may occur and ensure action is taken.
· Oversee HR related issues including job descriptions, recruitment, performance management, and training, health and safety, team structures (within the agreed regional framework) etc.
· Provide final approval for field visit requests, in consultation with the Head of Regional Programmes.
· Ensure security procedures and awareness are maintained throughout the country programme.
· Ensure activities are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, country and international standards. Ensure monitoring and evaluation of programme activities and outputs.
Team Spiritual Life
· Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
· Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
· Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· Degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject (such as engineering, WASH, Public Health or Information Management)
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). Knowledge of Arabic is a plus.
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years post-qualification experience in a relevant management position.
· 4-5 years post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
· Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of humanitarian programmes.
· Experience in dealing with donors, government officials and with partner organisations.
· Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
· Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.
· This is a capital city-based position with several times per week travel to field location.
· Lebanon is a middle income country with good infrastructure, offering excellent opportunities to develop high quality humanitarian programming.
· Working and living conditions are very good but proximity to the conflict region has security challenges.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed