Position Title : Consultant – Behavioural Scientist
Duty Station : Yerevan, Armenia
Classification : Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, Five months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 02 July 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The consultancy is in support of the improved awareness of the Armenian labour migrants on
HIV/AIDS through social media campaign.
“Improving HIV/AIDS Awareness among Urban Labour Migrants in Armenia through Social Media” project will contribute towards the achievement of UNAIDS 90-90-90 targets, by improving prevention and detection of HIV/AIDS among Armenian urban labour migrants and mobile populations in all phases of the migration cycle. The project will be implemented in close coordination with the Ministry of Health and its National Institute of Health, the National Center for AIDS Prevention, WHO and NGOs working in the field. The social media campaign developed and carried out within the framework of the project will deliver clear messages about the availability of testing options and on referring migrants for treatment. Enhanced knowledge on HIV transmission, prevention, detection and treatment will improve health-seeking behaviour and will lead to less risky sexual practices among Armenian urban labour migrants in all phases of the migration cycle.
The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Head of Office of IOM Mission in Armenia, and in close coordination with IOM Regional Office for South-Eastern Europe, Eastern Europe and Central Asia and Liaison Office for UN Agencies & Other International Organizations based in Vienna.
Where needed, the IOM will provide its support through letters to organize meetings with relevant bodies. IOM will arrange interpretation / translation for this consultancy.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Objective of the consultancy:
In coordination with relevant stakeholders in Armenia design a social media campaign to improve prevention and detection of HIV/AIDS among Armenian urban labour migrants in all phases of the migration cycle through promotion of behavioural changes.
Specific Objectives of the Consultancy:
a) Based on the results of the interviews/stakeholder consultations and findings from relevant studies, literatures and reports, define social media campaign specific objectives;
b) Based on the results of the interviews/stakeholder consultations and findings from relevant studies, literatures and reports, come up with main social, cognitive and emotional factors defining Armenian labour migrants’ health-related behaviour and decision-making to be taken into consideration in the campaign design;
c) Applying contextually relevant nudge theory techniques, design a behavioural change campaign targeting Armenian urban labour migrants;
d) Based on the results of the interviews/stakeholder consultations and findings from relevant studies, literatures and reports, develop messaging to be used in the behavioural change campaign targeting urban labour migrants;
e) Based on the results of the interviews/stakeholder consultations and findings from relevant studies, literatures and reports, in coordination with the local digital marketing specialist come up with a description of electronic media to be used for the organization of the behavioural change campaign targeting urban labour migrants;
f) In coordination with the local digital marketing specialist develop electronic media communication plan;
g) Develop an evaluation methodology to measure the impact/effectiveness of the public health campaign.
Duties and Responsibilities:
In close coordination with IOM, the successful candidate will:
- Conduct interviews/consultations with relevant stakeholders to define social media campaign specific objectives and to identify the main health-related behavioural factors of Armenian urban labour migrants as well as the desired behaviour change(s).
- Review related studies, reports and literatures on the social experience, knowledge, attitude, practices and behaviour of migrant workers or labour migrants towards health and well-being throughout the migration process.
- Develop the main content of the social media campaign including comprehensive, gender-sensitive messages targeting urban labour migrants and leading to behavioural changes preventing HIV/AIDS.
- Develop electronic media communication plan describing the steps for the campaign implementation, defining the main tasks and responsibilities of the implementing company.
- In coordination with the local digital marketing specialist propose communication channels for the campaign implementation taking into account the target audience behavioural factors.
- Develop an evaluation plan to measure the impact/effectiveness of the public health campaign.
- Design a small survey with questions, which beneficiaries can klick and answer as part of the social media campaign to measure the increase in knowledge on HIV.
- Progressively report on implementation of the activities to IOM Mission in Armenia: mid-term submission of a drafted version of the social media campaign and the evaluation plan, final report submission, incorporation of inputs by IOM Mission in Armenia and other stakeholders as suggested by IOM Armenia.
- Meet the deadlines set for the assignments.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Tangible and measurable outputs of the work assignment
A final report presenting: i) main social, cognitive and emotional factors defining Armenian labour migrants’ health-related behaviour and decision-making taken into consideration for the health campaign design; ii) electronic media communication plan, including messages to be used in the behavioural change campaign and description of the electronic media; iii) evaluation plan to measure the impact/effectiveness of the public health campaign.
Realistic Delivery Dates and Details as to how the work must be delivered
The detailed work plan and delivery dates will be confirmed directly with the successful candidate:
• Conduct interviews/consultations with relevant stakeholders to define social media campaign specific objectives and to identify the main health-related behavioural factors of Armenian urban labour migrants as well as the desired behaviour change(s) – within 1 month of start date
• Develop the main content of the social media campaign and electronic media communication plan and propose communication channels for the campaign implementation – within 2 month of start date and regularly update
• Develop an evaluation plan to measure the impact/effectiveness of the public health campaign, design a small survey with questions, which beneficiaries can click and answer as part of the social media campaign to measure the increase in knowledge on HIV– within 5 months of start date
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
• Satisfactory completion of tasks indicated in the ToR.
• Compliance with the IOM Data Protection Principles.
• Quality of work.
• Timely delivery of drafts and deliverables as indicated these ToR.
• Adequate demeanour.
• Delivery of any other tasks indicated above.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Social and Behavioural sciences, Public Health or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
• Other formal education from an accredited academic institution relevant for the assignment.
The successful candidate is expected to have the following qualifications and competencies:
• Minimum of at least three years of experience in professional thematic consultancy;
• Specialization in migration health or equivalent training will be considered as an asset;
• Proven experience in similar tasks. Proven experience with international and private organizations, government structures;
• Experience in preparing clear and concise reports;
• Experience in working with international organizations and UN agencies, an advantage;
• Strong analytical, writing and communication skills particularly in the field of interviewing and
conducting focus groups;
• Good knowledge of the migration health concept and related issues;
• Familiarity with IOM’s mandate;
• Good command of oral and written English;
• Good interpersonal skills, solid judgment/decision making, initiative and creativity;
• Adheres to the core values of the United Nations; in particular, is respectful of differences of culture, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, language, age, etc.;
• Cultural and gender sensitive;
• Respond positively to feedback and differing points of view;
• Demonstrate / safeguard ethics and integrity;
• Focus on result of tasks performed;
• Demonstrate outstanding time-management and inter-personal skills;
• Facilitate and encourage open communication.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data
Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 02 July 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 19.06.2019 to 02.07.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CON 2019/38 – Consultant – Behavioural Scientist – Yerevan, Armenia (56026248) Released
Posting: Posting NC56026249 (56026249) Released
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5