Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than thirty countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
DRC has been active in Sudan since 2004, particularly in delivering community-driven recovery and humanitarian assistance to displacement-affected populations. DRC, on behalf of a consortium made up of DRC and other NGO partners, is seeking an experienced and innovative Head of Consortium Coordination Unit based in Khartoum, Sudan, for an anticipated DFID-funded migration project that will address irregular migration from and through Sudan, with a view to making migration safer and more orderly. This three year programme will deliver results enhancing positive community-based responses to migration, promote the delivery of durable solutions for refugees and returnees in Sudan, and enhance the knowledge and understanding of key aspects of mixed migration among the key stakeholders in the humanitarian community.
About the job
This role provides oversight and direction of the Consortium Management Unit (CMU) and its staff acting as the liaison between the Steering Committee and the implementing organizations. The Consortium Manager will be responsible for managing a Programme Specialist and leading DRC’s implementation team for the project, with technical management lines to the consortium partner implementation teams. The Consortium Manager is responsible for ensuring coordination of approaches for impactful and efficient programmes. This will be accomplished through coordination and allocation of resources from the implementing agencies as well as DRC’s Mixed Migration Centre. The role will also involve high level representation with key policy making stakeholders and donors.
The consortium management unit will be based in Khartoum but will cover activities throughout Sudan and with significant linkages to activities in the regions of North Africa and the Horn of Africa, implemented by consortium member agencies and national implementing partners; with activities in Khartoum, Central Darfur, Gedaref and Kassala – with potential to adjust to include Red Sea, North Darfur, and Northern State according to shifting routes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Overall leadership and management of the Consortium Management Unit (CMU)
- Overall leadership and responsibility for delivery of the Routes Based Migration Programme.
- Ensuring reporting structures, including both financial and narrative reporting
- Ensuring consistent implementation across partners and geographic areas
- Ensuring appropriate coordination with government authorities
- Ensuring appropriate donor and stakeholder representation
- Report timely to the consortium Steering Committee regarding strategic direction, facilitating decision making and follow up on agreements and action points
- Lead on collation, reporting and management of key risks at the consortium level
- Ensure sound management of consortium resources, including funds, assets and staff
- Responsible for staff management in the consortium management unit, including recruitments of key positions, appraisal processes and daily supervision
All employees should master DRC’s core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity. The successful candidate is expected to have at least 5 years’ experience in a senior management and/or coordinating role (Country Director, Chief of Party, Head of Programme, or similar) with international NGOs, preferably working in complex emergencies in Sudan, North Africa, or the Horn of Africa.
Experience and technical competencies
- Preferably a Master degrees in international development, international relations, migration or other relevant field which could include project management and social work from a recognised institution;
- Proven experience in communications, representation and coordination of complex consortium projects involving civil society, national and local government and donors;
- Demonstrated expertise in communications with diverse groups;
- Proven experience in strategic development and programme design, planning, implementation, and understanding of monitoring and evaluation processes.
- Demonstrated technical experience in protection or mixed migration programming.
- Experience in organisational representation, coordination and liaison.
- Experience in managing and leading projects within partner networks or consortia.
- Experience in strategy development and resource mobilisation plans.
- Experience working with national NGO partners and local/government authorities.
- Networking, influencing, and representation skills and ability to develop effective relationships with a range of actors.
- Excellent conceptual, planning, organisational, and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills, negotiation and problem-solving capacities. Strong cultural awareness.
- Experience managing staff, preferably in cross-cultural environments.
- Experience with a range of donors, preferably with specific experience and knowledge of DFID.
- Ability to manage stress, multi-task and take decisions.
- Willingness to travel to and work in insecure environments
- Fluency in English is required. Ability to converse and work in Arabic will be an advantage but not required.
- Ability to obtain requisite visa and work permit in Sudan is a requirement for this position. The employer will provide support in this regard.
What we offer
Job title: Consortium Manager
Reports to: Country Director, member of the extended senior management team
Reportees: Finance Coordinator, M&E and Reporting Coordinator, Programme Specialist Protection and Migration Technical Lead, Community Development Lead, and a Partnership Coordinator.
Contract: 24 months, with possibility of extension (subject to funding)
Starting Date: January 2019
Salary band: F, (DKK 32,200 per month)
Benefits: Housing and other benefits provided according to Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Duty station: Khartoum, Sudan – with frequent travel to other DRC offices in Sudan.
This is an unaccompanied position. Khartoum is a family duty station.
For information about our work and organisation, please visit our website www.drc.dk.
The Danish Refugee Council is seeking a highly capable senior manager with significant experience of managing and/or coordinating consortia projects in complex emergencies, particularly in the field of migration to lead the Consortium Management Unit for a 3 year DFID funded migration programme in Sudan.
Application and CV
Please contact Alice Jenner, Country Director, if you would like to discuss this vacancy: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications with CV and application letter that address the stipulated duties and responsibilities and meet the required qualifications will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
Please send application and CV, in English and marked “Consortium Manager – Sudan”, as soon as you are ready to apply. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain vacant until filled. Your application should be sent through our online application system on www.drc.dkunder Vacancies > Current vacancies > Consortium Manager – Sudan. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
- Salary Offer $3000 ~ $10.000
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Dropdown field Option 1