VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: COMMUNICATIONS AND ENGAGEMENT OFFICER
Organization: Adeso: African Development Solutions, www.adesoafrica.org
Position Title: Communications and Engagement Officer
Reporting To: Deputy Country Director – Somalia
Working With: Fundraising Team, Communications Department, Programs Team, Executive Office
Program/ Duty Station: Garowe, Somalia
Duration: Seven (7) Months
Starting Date: Immediately
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For over 25 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. At present, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Adeso’s Communications Team is responsible for developing and overseeing implementation of the Adeso Communications Strategy. This includes defining and formulating key messages and proof points to broaden the understanding of Adeso’s unique, people-centered and participatory program approach amongst stakeholders across the humanitarian and development sector, governments, donors and the media.
Under the supervision of the Deputy Country Director, the Communications and Engagement Officer will support the delivery of Adeso’s global Communications and Outreach Strategy. S/he will work with colleagues to support the communications efforts of Adeso’s program teams; and s/he will support the organization’s growth. S/he will collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that Adeso communications enable and accelerate the system-level change envisaged in Adeso’s strategic goals.
We are looking for a Communications and Engagement Officer with a deep understanding of Adeso’s unique program model and innovative community based approach, experience with social media, copy writing/communication skills, design and visual skills, strong attention to detail, proactive “can-do” and “will-do” spirit, and good knowledge of the African context, specifically Kenya, South Sudan and Somalia. This opportunity requires significant creativity the ability to coordinate, research, and create social media content, while supporting and as needed, managing social media activities for multiple online platforms and ensuring the organization’s website is consistently updated with relevant and engaging content.
- Responsible for the project management of content and communications projects to assist the Director of Strategic Partnerships with the delivery of our communications strategy;
- Write informative, inspiring and engaging copy and create offline and online content for a range of audiences;
- Maintain quality in all communications by ensuring that brand and messaging guidelines, style guidelines and editing/proofreading methods are consistently and effectively applied across all communication products.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Promote Adeso in relevant media and network spaces and manage the production and delivery of appropriate outreach material, including updating pages with annual impact figures
· Contribute to the development/project manage annual report
· Manage the editorial calendar to ensure timely delivery of products blogs, stories, etc.
· Ensure communication guidelines remain up to date and practiced on an ongoing basis
· Support the development and implementation of the communication strategy
· Support website management including updating the home page, publishing success stories, helping to keep the newsroom up-to-date, and updating the photo galleries as needed and in concert with other communication team members
· Develop and manage blogs in concert with the editorial calendar
· Serve as liaison with website hosts to maintain website and manage projects as needed.
· Ensure website reflects the voice and vision of Adeso’s brand identity
Social media (FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Flickr
· Contribute to the development and implementation of an organizational social media strategy
· Ensure active engagement on social media that reflects best practices
· Monitor social media posts, highlighting important issues or postings that need to be brought to the attention of the management team
· Ensure all photos are posted to Flickr are of good quality and include necessary captions
· Provide weekly reporting and analysis on Website, Social Media usage
Content Development and Supporter Engagement
• Support in drafting, editing, and dissemination of timely and accurate information, fact sheets, for requests for information, and other public-information materials relating to project activities. These documents must be written in clear, concise language, both in English and Somali;
• Undertake field visits as appropriate to collect and produce human interest stories from the field, carry out interviews with staff and beneficiaries in the field and remain up to date on the unfolding context;
• Provide ongoing support (editing, guidance, messaging, etc.) to communication focal points in the production of communications materials (videos, photos, success stories, case studies, etc.) and ensure that they appropriately reflect Adeso’s brand and identity.
• Provide guidance to project team on different donor visibility requirements and ensure regulations are implemented;
· Oversee procurement of public communication materials;
· Keep abreast of ED’s speaking engagements and develop talking points.
· Ensure project profiles are updated on a quarterly basis
· Manage inventory of communications materials. Update quarterly.
· Prepare press releases as needed and monitor media activity to determining appropriate responses
· Develop engaging, compelling content for external audiences on a regular basis as guided by the editorial calendar.
· Provide support as needed in the development and design of fundraising campaigns and other donor/supporter engagement communication tools (emails, newsletters, etc.)
· Work with external consultants for website development, photography, video production and translation;
· Act as a reference/contact point for Adeso staff in Somalia on general information requests related to projects
· In consultation with the Director of Strategic Partnerships, carry out targeted information and media outreach activities. These activities are designed to push accurate information about the project to local, regional and national markets in Kenya, the United States, and elsewhere, through magazines, newspapers, radio, television, public service announcements, and other outlets;
· Coordinate with relevant counterparts within Adeso to produce and release accurate, timely, useful and well-written information to local and international news outlets;
· In close coordination with the Director of Strategic Partnerships, expand opportunities for coverage by arranging briefings, interviews, and tours for journalists.
General communications support
· Copyediting, review, and mark documents to ensure correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, sentence structure, and usage.
· Develop and maintain positive working relationships with team members, and other units across the organization
· Develop and maintain overall content strategy and standards for voice and tone for digital communications;
· Maintain and help to evolve the voice of web communications; research, write and edit SEO-rich, grammatically accurate content for Adeso’s website, e-mails and social media, taking a proactive approach to improve our communications and brand across all online channels;
· Other duties as assigned according to skill level.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Bachelor’s Degree in Communications/Journalism or related field;
· 1-2 years professional experience w/ Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, with proven results on impacting Key Performance Indicators of an organization;
· Expertise and experience leveraging social media communication channels to provide a compelling and inspired sense of an organization’s mission to a broad range of audiences;
· Experience with HTML coding, email distribution tools and content management systems;
· Knowledge of social media management & analytics tools such as SproutSocial, Buffer, Hootsuite, SocialBro, TweetDeck, Followerwonk, Sprinklr, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, Pinterest Analytics, etc.;
· Experience with social media design tools such as Canva, PicMonkey, Pagemodo, Piktochart, Infogr.am, etc.;
· Excellent written and spoken English is essential, as well as a critical eye for editing and grammar;
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with respect for diversity;
· Bonus: Experience working within a humanitarian or development context and working on international donor funded projects.
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to email@example.com, quoting “Communications & Engagement Officer” in the email subject matter, by 20th November, 2018.
Each application should be addressed to the Regional Human Resources Manager and include the following:
· An updated CV; and
· An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.
- Salary Offer $3000 ~ $10.000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1