Communication Officer, NOA (Temporary Appointment), New Delhi
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF: https://youtu.be/E1xkXZs0cAQ
For every child, AN ADVOCATE
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
How can you make a difference?
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children in the world’s thereby ensuring a better future for every child, this is the chance to make a difference. Under the supervision of the communication officer, the incumbent will provide communication and coordination support in the effective roll-out of communication activities planned for accelerating immunization outreach.
Major duties and responsibilities:
1. Communication Support
- Drafting of materials including articles, blogs, support with a social media plan in coordination with media and social media units;
- Documentation support, including workshop, roundtables and training programmes’ minutes conducted in partnership with the Immunization and Technical Support Unit, Ministry of Health, training modules for CAS (Critical Appraisal Skills)programmes;
- Communication and coordination support provided to nine states for feature stories on immunization and articles for creating an enabling environment on immunization;
- Six detailed communication activity reports for Government, GAVI (Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation – a donor)and partners produced, capturing the process of engagement with media, religious leaders and other influencers;
- Ensured smooth coordination and completion of 12 communication (1 or 2 events per month) event related activities with agencies involved, two Government launches of vaccines, 10 media field visits and three celebrity events as required.
2. Knowledge Management
- Create a knowledge base including an advocacy package for all immunization CAP (Communication, Advocacy and Partnerships) Section’s communication activities and provide to states to adapt and apply.
- Work with states to have a centralized documentation and learning repository.
- Maintain online and offline databases related to the programme. Compile relevant information for reports, as per pre-agreed budgeted activities for all stakeholders/ influencers.
- Update Advocacy messages document on Immunization updated and complete.
- Create drop box which serves as centralized document repository for maintenance and dissemination of CAP communication material on immunization with states and for use in the public sphere.
- Detailed online and offline stakeholder databases on immunization communication activities created and maintained.
- Support all coordination activities required to organize planned immunization events including coordination for participation of relevant high-level partners, speakers and stakeholders, creation of collaterals as per branding guidelines and information kits as per publication guidelines for events pertaining to immunization communication activities.
- Coordination of support for engagement workshops, civil society engagement, religious leaders’ engagement, social media visibility.
- Creation of activation plans and update monthly and annual evaluation reports against pre-agreed indicators.
- Ensure smooth coordination and completion of 12 communication event related activities with agencies involved, two Government launches of new vaccines, 10 media field visits and three celebrity events as required.
- All projects completed and submitted as per timeline.
To qualify as a/an [champion or advocate] for every child you will have…
- Education:University degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Social Sciences, programme communication, health communication or related field.
- Work Experience:Must have minimum one year of project communication coordination support experience and excellent English writing skills. Good knowledge of the health development agenda, especially immunization would be an added value.
- Language Proficiency:Fluency in English and Hindi
For every Child, you demonstrate…
i)Core Values (Required)•Commitment • Diversity and Inclusion • Integrity
ii)Core Competencies (Required)• Communication [ II ] • Working with People [ I ] • Drive for Results [ I ]
iii)Functional Competencies (Required)•Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]• Relating and Networking [ I ]• Learning and Researching [ II ]
i. Specific Technical Knowledge Required [ for the job ]
- Executive Board and other policy documents,
- Executive Directives,
- Thorough knowledge of Mid-Term Strategic Plan (MTSP),
- UN/UNICEF Policy Papers,
- UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines,
- Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF,
- General administrative and financial guidelines,
- Human resources manual,
- UNICEF communication and other DOC guidelines,
- Communication toolkit,
- Brand Toolkit and Brand Book,
- UNICEF Stylebook,
- Ethical Guidelines on Reporting on Children,
- Using and maintaining social media, especially Facebook, Instagram and Twitter,
- Management tools such as updating of DropBox, SharePoint and creation of dissemination lists,
- Excellent writing skills- Drafting of compelling content including articles, blogs social media posts in coordination with media and social media units,
- Excellent documentation skills and be able to coordinate with multiple stakeholders.
ii. Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group)
General knowledge of:
- Communication practice, methodology and practical application. Knowledge of current theories and practices in communication research planning and strategy,
- Fundamentals of working in various media formats – print, audio, video, web etc.,
- Computer systems, including internet navigation, office applications, and specifically, interactive digital media,
- United Nations or other international organizations; good understanding of world affairs, current events and international development issues,
- Global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and current UNICEF position and approaches,
- UNICEF communication goals, visions, positions, policies, guidelines and strategies,
- UNICEF policies and strategy to address national and international issues, including emergencies,
- UNICEF emergency communication policies, goals, strategies and approaches, including emergency preparedness,
- Gender equality and diversity awareness,
- Support in documentation and amplification of key communication initiatives UNICEF branding and editing guidelines.
iii. Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job)
- UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses,
- UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions,
- UN security operations and guidelines.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all national, religious, gender and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF has recently become the first United Nations agency to be awarded the EDGE certification – the leading global standard for gender equality in the workplace. UNICEF’s commitment to EDGE reaffirms our pledge to gender equality and inclusion all UNICEF staff worldwide.
This certification recognizes UNICEF’s commitment to achieving significant milestones in gender equality for all its staff, including strong gender balance at all levels of the organization, pay equity, a solid framework of policies and practices, and an inclusive workplace culture.
“UNICEF’s most important asset is our staff — all of our staff. Gender diversity and equal opportunities for men and women is not only a matter of rights. It makes us more effective as an organization.” Henrietta H. Fore, UNICEF Executive Director.
We are the first United Nations agency to be awarded the EDGE certification – the leading global standard for gender equality in the workplace.
For more information on UNICEF EDGE Certification, kindly view the video here.
UNICEF prides itself on fostering a multicultural and harmonious work environment, guaranteed by a zero-tolerance policy on sexual exploitation and abuse, and on any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- This position is based in New Delhi (India).
- The vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only. Selected applicant will have a 229 days Temporary Appointment contract.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training etc. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.
For more information about UNICEF India, please refer to the link below: – http://unicef.in
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=518365
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1